Contacting the original owner

Kevin M

So long story short I contacted the previous and only other owner of my car when I first bought it. I got it from a dealership not them. I asked if they still had the owners manual, maintenance records, and correct floor mats. They seemed confused or angry with me. They said they’d look around but haven’t gotten back to me. It’s been about a month and I want to call them but feel like I shouldn’t bother. Any advice on doing something like this?

How long ago did they trade the car?  If it's been recent then it's Ok, if it's been some time ago, I think the one call was all you get - I think you hit the nail on the head with angry with you which translates into don't bother us again.  I always remove anything from a car I trade in that easily ties it back to me, I don't want bothered by the new owners.

I had a guy who bought a car like 15 years after I sold it. He kept calling me with questions. At first it was ok but after a while it just got exhausting. What kind of gas did you use back then? Did you ever rebuild the carburetor? Do you have any papers from when you had the car? Do you remember the name of the guy you got it from? Do you remember the timing you used on the car? What kind of spark plugs do you recommend? After two or three calls I got tired of it and I told him it was enough. He kept calling anyway until I got a little gruff with him at which point he went crazy and really said some censored type things. Never again. Maybe history matters but jeeze on some cars just let it go. Most people dont care about cars like we do and some people care wwwwaaaaaaayyyyyy too much. If they dont want to help they dont want to help. The end.

@Y-JobFan they traded it in in early July. I bought it the 25 and I called them around August 15th. I don’t remember if they said to call back in a few week or they’ll call me back. I’d just like to have the owners manual that is from that car since it has who built it in it.

If you bought the car from them, it would be different, but being a trade in to a dealership, they are probably irritated that you even have their name & number. I would be. 

If they had sounded like they wanted to be helpful, I’d call them back. If I was the PO, I would have ended the conversation with something like, “I’ll see what I can do.”  Then I’d do this:5E0E693E-6270-4D26-8499-70E7C4AA1B97.jpeg.959a9f610c26b531e4d362fec36b43e5.jpeg

Call them again..........tell them how much you like the car and plan on keeping it.

........apologize for bothering them

Tell them you want to maintain the car and its history........if you don't know where they purchased it ....ask.

Fan their ego,  tell them you really appreciate how well they maintained the car.

Then tell them again you would really appreciate getting anything they might still have like the original window sticker,  the owners portfolio, floor mats

and offer to pay for the shipping.

If you get a negative response then you tried.

There were only 18 burgundy coupes with grey interior built.   If you break it down even further....since yours only has the CD player you may have one of 3 or 4

Post the last digits of the vin number and we might be able to tell you more.

• Like 2

I would contact them again and do as Barney suggested.  Be nice and don't push it if they are reluctant to talk.  My experience with contacting the original owner of my car was a good one. I wasn't wanting anything from her but a little information about the car. At first she was reluctant to say much but once I told her a little about myself, where I lived, and how I came to own the car, she opened up and we had a good conversation.

Thanks for the vin..........there were 4 made that were burgundy/grey and had black side molding plus the CD player,  a 5th had burgundy side molding.

However 900098 was the only one with pinstripe delete......one of a kind

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I called the original owner about a week and a half ago. He got back to me today and said that he has the whole owners portfolio and possibly the window sticker. So I’ll be meeting up on Sunday to get all that. Hopefully it’s in good shape

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kevin M said:

So I called the original owner about a week and a half ago. He got back to me today and said that he has the whole owners portfolio and possibly the window sticker. So I’ll be meeting up on Sunday to get all that. Hopefully it’s in good shape

Thats what I urged in post # 2, glad you did?

Mission accomplished. I got more than I thought I would from the original owner. He said he was the last one to buy a reatta from that dealership so the salesman gave him some of the promotional items. I haven’t seen most of this stuff before. It’s odd to me that there’s no polo green on the page of color samples. 

957458F8-B81D-41A8-B794-C4C403634FC6.jpeg

E33080F6-D0D3-41FF-8EBB-E9206E678AF1.jpeg

66827D10-1E92-4E87-A2E4-9C0994D82D5D.jpeg

CFE8E69B-886B-47E3-A043-680285319911.jpeg

• Like 1

Your persistence paided off.........you have more documentation than most Reatta owners.

The new products page you have with the 1991 colors does not have the Polo Green but it has Driftwood.   The Product manuals were put together well in advance of the new models.

In addition there is a letter (Oct 1990) stating that the Driftwood was discontinued and replace with Polo Green.

I figured that was the case. The interior page doesn’t have maroon on it. And there’s nothing on the white wheels. Does have info on the white seats though. It’s very interesting to see all the information Buick put out for people to see. 

Its really good that you have so much stuff on your car. there are a lot of people that would like to have all of that. I was lucky that all of that came with both my cars. I will keep with the cars as long as they are road worthy  I have found several of the portfolios in a few cars in salvage yards several years ago but most of them had parts missing. Good find Kevin enjoy your new car.. there are some good folks here on the AACA web site. Take the time to look at joining the Buick Club of America and the Reatta Division its worth it to find out all of the stuff on your car.

• Thanks 1