Sign in to follow this  
ROBERTWILLIAM

1932 Other Makes Packard Super Eight

I can't recall seeing disc wheels on a '32 droptop before. Beautiful car, but I think it needs wire wheels for the right look. 

The ad copy deserves an award for "most pretentious of the year," but the car is gorgeous, no doubt about it.

4 hours ago, scott12180 said:

Three hundred thousand dollars. 

Well ..... God bless ya. 

Two years ago a FACTORY bodied Packard sold for 1.1 million..................

one off custom from 1932 could easily run four to six...........

the car for sale is a 904 open car.........I have never seen or inspected it. Price is in the area where they trade.

With all due respect, this car is not a 1932 Super 8 9th series 903 Packard in my opinion, but a 1931 Packard Super 8  8th series Model 840 with the factory/dealership  (mainly front end & bumper upgrades) to make it look like a 9th series 1932 Super Eight to help the dealers move the last of the 1931 Packard's.The pure 1932 Packard had a much different dash board and a very stylish thin slant windshield and the top would fold into a recessed area behind the front seat rather than sitting on top of the rear body section. This car has the thick straight up and down (no rakish slant) windshield  in the style used in close Packard's sedan's and coupe's from  1931 and before. More attractive on this car with the top up rather than down compared to a true 1932-34 Packard Conv. Coupe. when the top is down and almost even with the top of the rear body.

From the ad I take it the seller is using a NADA price of $352,300 for a true 1932 Super Eight rather than this car a 1931 Super Eight. Still a very nice car and the Disc wheels are great looking on all 1924-31 Packards as well as the rear spare, hence showing off the long front fenders and body lines

Jim, good catch on the 840/903/904 with the 31 year upgrades. I was aware they did the update of trim and brightwotk but I have only closely worked with the 904 full custom cars.............here is a photo of the Gable 32 with a good looking young gentleman behind the wheel.......me!

0C3E3EB1-F7A4-412B-94DF-7713FC7C108C.jpeg

92DD9ADF-60B7-42CB-BDF4-10CE2DD9EE16.jpeg

• Like 2

I like the look also, but don’t have the car........it was just a test drive.

Ed, was the Gable 32 you drove recently/currently for sale?  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/packard/twin-six/2151553.html

As for the '31 in the main advertisement, also on Hemmings here: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/packard/super-8/2169654.html

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

Yes, that’s the same car. It sold at auction with RM at Amelia two or three years ago.......hammer was over seven figures. It’s a great car restored by an old friend of mine. It was a pure joy to drive.

• Like 1

34Lasalle is right on, she's an "updated" 31. And I agree, it's not a detriment to what's offered but a more accurate description should accompany the offering. In some cases (perhaps this car) it's a desireable change, but looks exceptionally "sexy" on the 840 roadsters (true roadsters with curtains and folding windshields). Still, nice car.

• Like 1