What is this tool used for????

FireballV8

An automotive bushing driver set?   I have never used one but I would suggest the handle is screwed into the base of the stepped driver and hit with a hammer.  Would be very useful and save having to improvise with whatever you can find to drive out the bush. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stude17 said:

An automotive bushing driver set?   I have never used one but I would suggest the handle is screwed into the base of the stepped driver and hit with a hammer.  Would be very useful and save having to improvise with whatever you can find to drive out the bush. 

Exactly. This particular set appears configured to drive cam bearings, or something like that, but with all those sizes you can probably improvise with most bearings and seals.

Bushings are generally pressed in rather than hammered in for obvious reasons. Bearing Race and Seal Driver sets are still pretty common. From Snap On at around $150 all the way down to Harbor Freight for about $39.

This looks like a decent set you have here. Don't know why somebody has marked some of the pieces with red paint.

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

Exactly. This particular set appears configured to drive cam bearings, or something like that, but with all those sizes you can probably improvise with most bearings and seals.

Thanks for the like Bloo.  Looking at the set again I would say the knurled nut is removed from the handle and the selected driver placed on it and held by the nut.  Looks like a very handy set to have in the garage.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone

Thank you for the replies it is much appreciated. I thought these were too narrow to install seals and bearing races, so it makes sense that they are for bushing work. 

Lindley Bothwell was a neighbor of mine and I went to his ranch many times over the years. He always painted all his tools red so he could identify them if others had them or were borrowed. I bought these at the Bonhams auction last fall at the Ranch along with a lot of other tools and I am now getting around to unpacking all the boxes. 

I'll post a few more I don't know the use. 

Thank You

Steve