Help identifying a part

r60man

My father owned many old cars and trucks over the years,. He loved cars but motorcycles were his passion, so he bought used cars and drove them forever. I have this wooden box that I got from himwhen he passed away. It was in our garage for years and years. I believe I remember him telling me that it was from one f the cars or trucks that he owned over the years. I am not trying to sell and make money. I am trying to find someone that needs it so I can pass it on, Dad would have wanted that. If you have any idea what it is from let me know. Thanks!

Box.thumb.jpg.466f27bbf98f8574095d31b0d032e700.jpg

The box is 23" long, 9" deep and 6 3/4" deep including lid space. As you can see the lock is missing.

658344262_Openbox.thumb.jpg.e73a4bf526df9645da7b898f17a0a728.jpg

Here is the box open. Nothing fancy inside. No lining or evidence that it ever had any. I think it was made to hold tools.

Closeup.thumb.jpg.174e84d920ad9baf8c8d7640dfe12b21.jpg

A close-up on one corner on the "front" of the box. It looks original as it is under dirt and old shellac or varnish. Fancy.

Again, I am not trying to sell this box, but I want to pass it on to an owner that needs it.

Well, I think that's real nice of you to try and mate this box with the right owner. It will make a terrific, period correct tool box for someone with a nice vintage car. I searched for quite a while before I found just the right wooden tool box for my car. Oiled the wood, looks great. I would have been very happy with the one you're offering here. 

Greg

20181004_221640.jpg

16 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Could it be an early running board tool box?

My 1908 Model F Buick has one too...  Except for under the rear seat, there are few places to store tools etc.  I suggest that many early car owners made or adapted running board tool boxes for their cars.  Yours appears to have a compartment to hold something like a wheel puller.  I have seen several made to hold the hand crank.

08 Buick Right Side.jpg

Honestly I do not know all of the cars he had. I know that he owner a Zepher, an Auburn, a couple of model A's and some others. I think that is was meant for the running board of a car because of the runners on the bottom that would "sit down" into a frame. I could have been from the truck maybe? Like I said, I do not know for sure.

Any carpenter tool boxes I've seen were long so that at least one each of rip and cross-cut hand saws would fit in them - usually with slots for each to protect the saw teeth.  Mechanics/auto tool boxes tend to be shorter like this one.

Paul