Another brass car from the HAMB

nzcarnerd

I agree it's a frustrating car to identify. I do think that script on the radiator is in two parts, an upper and a lower, the lower part being a something 'SIX', which would be in keeping with the hood length. I know nothing about US plates apart from what just I've Googled, is that an Iowa plate? from the 20's?

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Leif Holmberg said:

Compare with those 1909-1911 Columbia pictures,wrong radiator wrong on front frame.Car in question don`t have the frame in front  it has a spring up and down.1/4 or 1/2 elliptic spring.

Leif in Sweden.

1909.jpg

1910.jpg

Hi Leif

Yes the front springs are definitely incorrect and I didn't take enough notice of them.  It also looks like the car in question has the steering rod in front of the axle which the Columbia doesn't have.  The axle also looks  to be tubular?  The radiator intrigues me and I was wondering if it has a decorative cover over the front?  The front springs rule out the Columbia but if you look at the later 1910 Columbia the actual body looks to be very close and to me looks a match.  The only vehicle I can think of with those front springs is a Jackson.

Just curious,

how does the expert Ariejan Bos come to his conclusion ? Was there something in a historical document or another photo that validates or is he going strictly by memory ? It's simply says "Records show identical shape radiator, mudguards/bills, & matching wheel hubs."

What records ? Sorry, I'm from Missouri so I have to see it...

In my searches I cannot find any American from 1910-1912 that matches the photo.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Yeah I seen that photo... not sure how that validates a match though especially without seeing a clear example of the front including the radiator.

I'm very sorry to waste your precious time mate. That was the best photo I could find of a Reading Model 40 for comparison. I also didn't say it validated the subject car.

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

There is a better photo in The Standard Catalog.

But it is a 1910-11 model I see.

28 minutes ago, Craig Gillingham said:

I'm very sorry to waste your precious time mate. That was the best photo I could find of a Reading Model 40 for comparison. I also didn't say it validated the subject car.

No one has come up with a better idea - yet.

I am NOT an expert on these early makes. But I find them fascinating. In an earlier response, I suggested Autocar. I had noticed a similar-looking vehicle on page 85 of the Standard Catalog. Fenders very similar, front and rear. Radiator similar, with full-eliptic springs. Hub caps similar size, radiator similar shape. The Autocar shown in that photo seems to have an enamel style radiator emblem at top, which is different, and headlights are different. But I ASSUME that there were often small differences like this throughout a model year for many manufacturers. 

Again, I am not trying to argue that this is the car...I'm just offering to try and help. 

• Like 1

lump.

Here are a scan of the Autocar from the American Cars 1805-1942.

This Autocar seems to have half elliptic spring in front and you can see the frame on the picture too if looking close to it!

Just take a look at those marked arrows and compare with the Reading car.We will learn as long as we live people use to say! 

Leif in Sweden.

Autocar 1911.jpg

18 hours ago, Craig Gillingham said:

This is out of a 1911journal, of the 1912 model. They were a 4 cylinder and used full-elliptic springs all around.

40-1.jpg

The use of the term "fore-door" is interesting. I presume the 'touring car' has no front doors  - as our mystery car does - and the 'fore-door' does. By the following year all cars have front doors.

12 hours ago, Craig Gillingham said:

Wow... really ? Waste my precious time ? 

Sorry you took my comment the wrong way Craig.... WE are ALL trying to learn here and I was simply asking for how he came to the conclusion without putting forth the evidence. Your photo was appreciated but my point was that it hadn't shown the front therefore was impossible to validate it..  I guess the next time I should just remain silent and enjoy the soylent green instead of asking questions. 

Wow...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The use of the term "fore-door" is interesting. I presume the 'touring car' has no front doors  - as our mystery car does - and the 'fore-door' does. By the following year all cars have front doors.

That is interesting. Sure is a very intriguing car to say the least.

23 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

lump.

Here are a scan of the Autocar from the American Cars 1805-1942.

This Autocar seems to have half elliptic spring in front and you can see the frame on the picture too if looking close to it!

Just take a look at those marked arrows and compare with the Reading car.We will learn as long as we live people use to say! 

Leif in Sweden.

Autocar 1911.jpg

Leif, 

Thanks for taking a look at that image, and placing arrows at the noted differences.

During this mystery-car identification project, not only did I learn the differences between the Autocar and this one identified as a Reading...I also learned that the effort of turning page by page by page through the STANDARD CATALOG looking for images of similar vehicles is too large of a task for me! That's why I didn't find any similar vehicles beyond the "A" pages of the alphabetical listings! 

Cheers!! 

lump.

I have went thru this 1600 pages Standard Catalog a lot of times not finding what I was searsing for.That`s frustating just becuse most of the US cars are there,but the angles of the cars are not the  very right ones  all the  times?

Cheers Leif in Sweden.

• Like 1