Dynaflow Fluid In Differential

55Bfred1752

?Upon removing the filler plug on my recently acquired 1955 Buick Super, approximately 4 or 5 ounces of oil came out  after I had discovered a few red drops on the floor below the differential indicating that trans fluid is leaking past the rear trans seal and the upper torque tube seal  into the differential. Replacing these seals is costly if you cannot do the job yourself. Since the car will not be driven over 500 miles per year if I change the differential gear oil periodically will small amount of trans oil mixing with the gear oil cause any problems in the future?

55Cfred1752

Not a complicated job to fix this, just a lot of labor.

As an alternative, try drilling a small weep-hole at the bottom rear of the torque tube.  Tap and fill it with a small allan-head screw.  You can remove and check on a regular basis.  I did this on my 54 just to keep an eye on things.

You do not want to risk the ring and pinion!

• Like 1

Get a torque ball seal kit:  HERE

Then check back and we will show you how to install.

Leaks never get better.  A small dilution of the rear end gear oil will not hurt, but a large dilution will ruin your gears.  

Cheaper to fix it right and now than looking for a different gear set.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

Not a complicated job to fix this, just a lot of labor.

As an alternative, try drilling a small weep-hole at the bottom rear of the torque tube.  Tap and fill it with a small allan-head screw.  You can remove and check on a regular basis.  I did this on my 54 just to keep an eye on things.

You do not want to risk the ring and pinion!

Good idea! Add a brass 90 degree fitting and clear plasti tube long enuff with a breather at the end, to fasten it to the pass side of torque tube. Now you have a "sight glass" which if red trans fluid, if dark and not red prolley diff fluid. Buicks sit typically low, so you might still need to use a floor jack. I am in shape! Pear is a shape! You just need to jack it up higher. I have heard if stock Buicks dont spots they are prolley out of oil!

At the front end of the torque tube, look for a thin metal sleeve that the neoprene seal spins on,  If that is rough, you will have to remove the outer tube - not hard - and mess with that.  Either tap it down farther or pull it up a bit to get a smooth surface for the seal to spin on - or remove it entirely to  turn it around and reinstall.