moran75

1965 Riv glovebox door adjustment

Hi All

My glove box door opens/closes but doesn't close flush with dash - slightly up on one side and down on other...very annoying as someone has now pointed it out...

Is there an easy adjustment, much like on kitchen doors?! Had a look and is not obvious, at least to me ....

Scoured the forum and the body service manual but no luck...

All the best

Kev

Mine is the same. My pushbutton latch no longer works, and I think that the door has been lifted at that corner for a long time to get it to come open. Don't know if it can be adjusted, but I see doors pretty often on ebay. Trick is finding one that isn't warped like yours. Apparently the pushbutton being broken is pretty common.

Thanks for commenting so quickly...my door i'snt damaged, certainly not visibly..just slightly lob sided , like a badly hung front door..

Take a look at the hinge in the upper right corner to make sure it isn't cracked or broken.  This is the weakest point in the overall design and this can effect the door alignment.  It is a very common problem for the first gens.  The other issue is the applique lifting at the lower left corner of the glove box lid as many owners grab the lid there, particularly if the car has a remote trunk release.

3 hours ago, jframe said:

Trick is finding one that isn't warped like yours.

Good day.

From what I know, I agree, I think the door warping is more the problem than the hinge. I recently picked up a few spare interior parts, and this door was actually more warped than the one in my '64. Mine latches but still doesn't sit flush when closed, but I needed the script on the door. 

Not sure why these would warp like this nor if these can be straightened but it might be something I'll mess with this winter...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

Mine was the most jacked up glovebox door in the history of all Rivieras when I got my car. Now it closes and opens like a well oiled switchblade. Seriously, it snaps open/shut with authority and lines up really well. Here's what I did: First, pulled the door off to inspect for damaged hinges/latches as mentioned previously.  Second, put it back on (still jacked up) and lubed it well at all contact points. Third, loosened all contact points to hand tight status. Fourth, gently pushed the door to the closed position and lined it up so it's flush with the rest of the dash (if it won't fit right at this stage, you probably have a warpage or serous hinge issue). Fifth, take a strip of blue painter tape and run it across the top of the door pinning it to the dash. Finally, gingerly pry it open using thin wood strips (like popsicle sticks), don't let it snap up, once it's reached open position tighten all screws and enjoy. PRL

The glove box door is made of aluminum. Is this correct? Constant pulling up on the lower left corner bends up that corner? Has any one had success in returning their door to straight condition?

The veneer is aluminum but the actual dash itself is made from the same plastic as the rest of the dash board.  Up until around December of 1962, there was no veneer on the dash.  Look at the back side of the door and you'll see what the dash is made of.  The biggest cause of glove box door failure is when the plastic breaks where it attaches to the hinge.