Early style (1925) DB Ignition points or substitute?

franklinman

Since I've been away from the early DB's for so many years I'm re-learning what is available and what isn't anymore.  It seems that caps, rotors, and condensers aren't really a problem; but point sets seem to be in limited supply (or not available at all).  What are you guys doing for points?  Is there a source, or substitute, that I'm not aware of out there?  Has anyone had any experience with trying to fit/run any aftermarket system, like the pertronix modules for example?  I'm not a big fan of modifying my early cars, but I've seen some done that are fully inside the distributors and nothing visible when properly installed that seem to work very well.  Also, I've found where ROMAR will be in the upcoming Hershey Swap Meet, but I can't find out where Myers will be, if indeed they attend the meet at all.  I've sent an inquiry through their website but have not had any response.  Thanks.

I have converted both my cars with this electronic ignition. I have also changed from 6-12 volts though. The engines both run so much smoother and start better. The main unit and coil is under the dash board and all you see is a 3 small wires coming out of the distributor. Very easy to fit and great instruction. The kit comes with multiple brackets and I found one that fitted both with a bit of small modifications. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401510515262

• Like 1

Hi Mattml430.  Your cars must be later model Dodge Brothers since you stated you had changed them from 6 to 12 volts.  Our early 4-cyl cars are originally 12 volts, and in my case (1925) it positive ground.  Thanks to input from several of those on this forum I have found a source(s) for point, but I am still curious if anyone with an early DB has had any success with converting to a pertronix (or similar) solid state ignition unit.

38 minutes ago, franklinman said:

Hi Mattml430.  Your cars must be later model Dodge Brothers since you stated you had changed them from 6 to 12 volts.  Our early 4-cyl cars are originally 12 volts, and in my case (1925) it positive ground.  Thanks to input from several of those on this forum I have found a source(s) for point, but I am still curious if anyone with an early DB has had any success with converting to a pertronix (or similar) solid state ignition unit.

Type the model number of your distributor into Pertronix site and see if there is one available that just bolts on. If not, you can  modify a 4 cylinder 12volt positive ground Pertronix unit to work with your distributor.

http://www.pertronix.com/support/ignitor-kit/default.aspx

• 4 years later...