1958 inside rearview mirror problem

Pete Phillips

Am trying to finish up the restoration of my 1958 Special 4-dr. hardtop station wagon. It has been too many years since I took it apart and now what I think is the correct indoor rearview mirror will not fit with the upper inner windshield garnish moldings. Can anyone tell me if I am using the wrong parts here? The garnish molding seems to be too long to allow the mirror bracket to fit. I assume the outer edges of the mirror bracket go underneath the blue garnish moldings (?)

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

IMG_9315resized.jpg

IMG_9316.JPG

IMG_9317.JPG

IMG_9262.JPG

I would say the mirror is correct as the passenger side trim appears to fit as it should.   Possible the left side trim has too much headliner material under it that it can be positioned more to the left?   Overlap the  driver side trim a bit more over the trim that courses down the side of the windshield?

All I can tell you about my headliner installation....these trim pieces are the absolute pits in getting installed and screwed in.   Worst part of the job for me.  I understand your frustration.   

Pete, the garnish moldings should slide on the mirror on the left and right sides. The holes in the mirror bracket should line up with the holes in the garnish trim. Then the 3 piece assembly should be screwed to the roof / windshield surround. However, there is a sequence to putting in the windshield garnish. Lower windshield first, (Center, left, right) then left / right vertical garnishes, then the upper garnish assembly with mirror bracket.

At least that is the sequence with a 1957 Buick, which I think the 1958 uses the carry over design from 1957. It also helps to use an awl / ice pick to line up the trim screw holes in the surround with the trim. Hope this helps.

• Like 5