Removing clutch 1922 Oldsmobile

OLDMAN

I need to remove the clutch from my 1922 Oldsmobile model 43A to replace the two friction discs. I know that I have to remove the transmission

and clutch pedal assembly  from the clutch release shaft plus a few other items. I know also that I need to lock out the clutch spring with a space block.

However, I need to remove the clutch fork from the clutch release shaft in order to remove the clutch. The problem is that there is not enough room to slide the shaft

far enough to remove the clutch fork. the shaft will hit the frame. Do I need to remove the bell housing (called Transmission Support in my parts book) by removing the bolts and lowering the bell housing in order to have enough clearance to slide the shaft away so that I can remove the clutch fork and then the clutch?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

OLDMAN

I did some more research on removing the clutch from my 1922 Oldsmobile. I believe that I don't have to remove the bell housing. After removing the clutch pedal assembly and a few other misc. items, I can rotate the clutch release shaft with the clutch fork as I pull out the clutch assembly. This way the clutch fork will be out of the way so that I can lower the clutch assembly from the bell housing.

Any comments on this procedure?

• Like 1