Help

dj119

I have a 1973 Dodge motor home with a 440 I recently replaced distributor cap rotor ecu ballast resistor . It was running great until earlier today . I was driving and I tried to excellerate and it backfired extremely load out of the exhaust  it died and it has been back firing extremely load  when I try to start it and it won't start .  Any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou .

Sounds like you have either your cap 180 degrees out, or you crossed spark plug wires...sometimes backfires indicate the timing is off...

I'd go back and check your firing order and ensure your wires are correct and verify your cap is not 180 degrees off.

If it was running fine how would the wires get crossed while in motion.  I would think if the timing is messed up it is timing gears or chain.

Crossed wires run, albeit rough, but under a load they tend to backfire....

Sounds like the reason you can not start now, is your resistor, how many volts are running through it...does it start and then immediately dies?

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)

I would start by checking the timing.

Timing chain is the most likely but the gear on the distributor could also be a problem. 

The resister  lowers the voltage to the coil in the ignition key's run position, it is bypassed in the start position.

1973 the electronic ing. system is a simple optical pickup, they work or they just quit in most cases.

• 4 weeks later...