'63-65 Steering column chrome trim

65VerdeGS

While looking up something using "dual quad" as a search term using the website Search function, I came across a recent post from a member who said he had two rechromed steering column trims for sale.

Trouble is, I now can't find the post.  I tried searching for "dual quad" again, but this returns a lot of posts which would be really tedious to go through again.

Below is a photo of the piece I'm talking about - clipped from another member's post.

Anyone recall who may be selling this item in re-chromed condition?  The post in which the item was offered was photographed against a dark red background, making the chromed piece look really good.  I can't recall the date of the post, but it was fairly recent, as best I can remember.

Any ideas on this one?  

image.png.78f4a20eafb83c7dc4fcde46cedc9e0e.png

I think I have a couple of these left. The cost is 99 dollars plus shipping. Gene 610-359-8901. I am also selling some NOS meet t shirts at 20 dollars a piece and 2 dollars to ship them. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post a few. Thanks Gene.

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 10/9/2018 at 5:33 AM, abandg said:

I have one left. Call me at 610-359-8901 later this afternoon and I will hold it for you. If I am not home leave me a message and I will call you back. Thanks Gene.

Hi Gene,

I finally got around to installing the chromed steering cover you sent me last fall.  First, I had trouble getting the steering wheel pulled b/c I used the wrong bolts and stripped part of one of the threads (Duh!)  I got that sorted out so was able to proceed with replacing the cover.  One challenge as others have noted was removing the old pressed-on cover from the steering column.  I tried various methods, including Tom M's small prybar method, but that old cover wouldn't come off.  Then rooting around in my toolbox I found a pair of Channel-lock pliers that turned out to do the trick!   By gently prying with the jaws against the hub around its circumference I was finally able to get the cover off.

253254973_Removingsteeringcolumncover.JPG.3bb7ba6395357527fdea3a9a45f6c73d.JPG

Here's the new cover installed:  Looks much better!

1286186839_Steeringcolumncoverinstalled.JPG.b6975850f25d1c64cf2f8f7135010d18.JPG

I'll put my old cover in the mail for you this week, as promised.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Alex,

That is the way I use the ANGLED prybar

Tom

HI Tom, 

Yes, I first tried using the small prybar I have.  But it's angle was too wide to get enough room to pry against the column cover with the curve resting on the hub.  Your suggestion prompted me to find another tool to pry with, and I was lucky to have the channel-lock pliers at hand.  Funny how simple jobs get complicated without the right tools!