brakes-49 chrysler -wheel cylinder

gregchrysler

anyone know  why the rubber in the wheel cylinder piston will go over the rim and not go back into the cylinder--I bought 2 new  wheel cylinder and both push out to much  trapping the rubber on the rim and  leaking   please  help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You better look in your manual.

There has to be a way to adjust shoe travel.

If my memory serves it looks like a bolt head on the back side of the backing plate that turns an eccentric that pushes the shoes towards the drum.

Someone may correct me on this but I have done a few and am pretty sure I am recalling correctly.

Unlike the loose leaf brakes used on some rival makes, Chrysler brakes are precision and must be adjusted properly so the shoes align with the drums having an even clearance all around. This is the major adjustment done after relining or replacing brakes. It only needs to be done once, after that you do a minor adjustment to take up wear as required.

Consult your manual and set them up right and they will work great, also there are different length rods as others have pointed out. It sounds like yours are too short allowing the pistons to pop out of the cylinder.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

solved  the problem  the lower wheel cylinder piston  was stuck  in the outward position pushing the right brake out  at the bottom  --after  I pushed it in (and it released brake fluid in my  eye)  hub and brake linings were ok  -  and  new top wheel cylinder was closer to the brake shoe and didn t leak  (so far)  thanks rusty  and  keiser   u r  a lifesaver