Mysterious loud squeal

stakeside

I have a DA 6 engine and when I start my engine there is a loud squeal. Hard to tell from where.

I had my started rebuilt recently and the engine has not been started for 2 years. I disconnected the fan belt to remove possible noise of water pump but still have noise. 

Could be: 1) through out bearing, 2) Bushing in the flywheel, or 3) starter hanging up.  

Any ideas. May have to pull trans.

32 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Starter hanging up can be checked by starting with hand crank?

Does the throw-out bearing have a greasing system? My DC does and so does Taylormade's DL.

My '29 DA has a grease cup in engine compartment w/ flex tube to throw-out bearing...I've just never heard a "squeal" from throw-out bearing before.

Yes mine has a grease fitting and was able to place grease. I believe the throw-out bearing does not rotate. It just applies pressure to the pressure plate so that could not be a source of the noise. 

There is a pilot bushing in the flywheel. Is this a possible source? How does it get lubricanted?

Does this describe what your hearing ? 

A worn or damaged pilot bearing will make a whining or grinding noise. It will be very loud if the bearing is completely damaged. It occurs whenever the crankshaft and input shaft are rotating at different speeds.

A squeal is usually a slipping belt. But you have taken the belt off. That also stops the water pump and generator turning so it isn't them.

The input pinion pilot bearing in the crankshaft should not make a noise unless the clutch is disengaged and the pinion is slowing relative to the engine.

You should be able to remove the starter from the equation (after checking the gear is retracted) with a crank start.

What about the timing gears or chain? Have you looked in the sump at the sludge buildup? If there was a lot, is it possible the oil ways are blocked and the timing gear is not being lubricated? Or the front seal even. Stethoscope on this one.

Presumably there is enough oil, a multi-grade like 5W-30 or -40.

What about a sucking noise at the carb? Put the air cleaner back on and see if it quietens. Oh, you don't have one. What can you use to silence the high pitched sucking noise from the carb? If it was this, it would decrease when the throttle was opened.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)