Hudson's, Fighter planes and engines

Xander,

Great photos from a great museum. Wish I'd known about it when I bought my '41 Packard in 2007. Stayed in Boise and the car was in Middleton. Had time to kill and if I'd known that Nampa had that Museum I would have been there for sure.

• Like 1

Rusty,

According to that font of all wisdom, Wikipedia: 

World War II[edit]

220px-Hudson_Motor_Car_Company%2C_Detroi

Hudson Motor Car Co. factory in Detroit, circa 1930-1945

As ordered by the Federal government, Hudson ceased auto production from 1942 until 1945 in order to manufacture material during World War II, including aircraft parts and naval engines, and anti-aircraft guns. The Hudson "Invader" engine powered many of the landing craft used on the D-Day invasion of Normandy, June 6, 1944.

During World War II Hudson had also an aircraft division which produced ailerons for one large eastern airplane builder.[16][17] The plant was capable of large scale production of wings and ailerons as well as other airplane parts. On May 22, 1941, Hudson was given a contract for the Oerlikon 20 mm cannon with the Jefferson Avenue Plant, on Jefferson Avenue and Connor Avenue, responsible to convert the original Swiss drawings to American production standards.[18] The company produced 33,201 Oerlikons for the United States Navy with the original mechanism continued in use without major change and with complete inter-changeability of parts until the end of the war.[18] Hudson also manufactured millions of other weaponry and vehicle parts for the war effort. Hudson ranked 83rd among United States corporations in the value of World War II military production contracts.[19]

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)