Heater Core

shelbyone

Ok...biting the bullet...any particular hints on heater core replacement? I know its a pita job and I have to do it by myself ( no wingman) and I guess I could do it in 20 hours.

got the heater core replacement from rockauto and sound dampening mats ( 2mm) are ready to be installed where insulation is brittle and unusable.

how many screws? 278? did anyone do this alone also? seats out? 

I have done it with the seat in.  I weighed 230 lbs.  Of course I used to look at my body as another tool to be used to do something.  About 6 months ago, I was contorting my body for something else and had a Tia!  sooo be advised it can be done if you know a good chiropractor.  Probably best to follow the book

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2018 at 9:48 AM, shelbyone said:

Ok...biting the bullet...any particular hints on heater core replacement? I know its a pita job and I have to do it by myself ( no wingman) and I guess I could do it in 20 hours.

got the heater core replacement from rockauto and sound dampening mats ( 2mm) are ready to be installed where insulation is brittle and unusable.

how many screws? 278? did anyone do this alone also? seats out? 

Much smarter to remove the seats. You will thank me! MVC-024S.JPG.0b3b4744e077c1ac8d77c23482c83473.JPG This way you will have access to sit on the floor and work.

This dash removal was done on a 91 TC to repair fire damage in the center console, however you need to go further and remove the steering column and dash completely in order to access the heater box.

To ease your mind (a little) as long as you are patient and DON'T BREAK ANYTHING, you will be able to do it yourself. I have done several over the years at my shop. 

The bolts and nuts will become obvious as you dig into the job. Begin by disconnecting the battery after you have removed the seats, then discharging and disconnecting the A/C 'H' valve from the evaporator. 

Much more lyes ahead!

• Like 2

Bill! Hemi!

Too late...I left the seats in ...started at 3:30pm until midnight...and the box is out, new core is in..and tomorrow, I will put everything back into the TC...

it really is a pita! old core was clearly leaking....I am concerned about the evaporator...there is a little rust on the left side ( facing the core side) and nothing on the right...I suppose, it could be a little rusty from the leaking core....anyway, I did not order a new one at rockauto and I just want to get it over with....

there were lots of things that did not come apart easily.....and I hope to get it back together a little faster....

old core.jpg

evap left.jpg

evap right.jpg

got the heaterbox back in...hope I used the correct side of the gasket for the ac..also...there is one plug on the heaterbox that has no corresponding match! did I miss anything?

so far, I was not able to get the middle console plastic part in...so after 2 days, I am not done yet...

ac.jpg

IMG_6560.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

On 10/4/2018 at 11:59 AM, shelbyone said:

after 3 days and roughly 30 hours, I am done...good thing is, I dont have to do this for another 30 years...

update...heater works fine, all levers work smoothly after greasing them  prior to assemble ...still do not know what kind of plug this is - there was no corresponding plug to find and I cant remember separating it from a plug when I took the box out .(Yes, the Black&Green curly wire does connect to the blower motor)

could that be just a plug that was used for other models in different cars?

Heaterbox Plug.jpg

Edited by shelbyone
more info (see edit history)

Nah, not ATC. I have a box ready to go for that in mine. There's no control unit in this one.

NOW I see it I think! That's the plug for the thermo switch in the condenser. That started in 1990. Earlier cars didn't have that. It works in conjunction with the pressure switch on the H-valve to prevent the A/C from freezing up.

• 5 weeks later...