Sign in to follow this  
keiser31

Is there a following of the newer Thunderbirds?

A friend of mine has a newer Thunderbird and she wants to sell it. Is there a group interested in these modern birds? I have heard that some people keep track of them and their serial numbers and "birth dates".

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Never as exciting as I hoped they would be, nonetheless I’m sure there is a group that follows them as you mention.

• Like 2

I like them. There are a ton out there with very low miles though, so more of a special interest than just about any other domestic from the period... not a huge money maker (for Ford or their later owners). They still come up in the general used car market and NADA is probably a realistic value setter. They weren't made to be collectible, but many people saved em or used them very lightly. Actually might be a good car to see if you can find a local lot that would want to sell it on consignment. They'll have better access to retail pricing to earn their cut and will be able to get folks financed easier than on private party. Plus you don't have to hassle with any of the marketing.

• Like 1

Yes, there is definitely a following for them among members of CTCI and the Vintage Thunderbird Club. Even though CTCI does not include them in the cars covered by the club there are many members who own one. I think they are pretty decent cars that were overpriced when new and therefore not as popular as they might have been. Part of what drove the price up was using the Lincoln LS platform with IRS. They had to price it higher than a solid rear axle car. I drove one when they were new and I didn't fit into it too well being 6' 2", so be sure to drive it before you buy. It is hard to believe that the newest one is 13 years old. 

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird Colonial White

• Like 1

I think they're probably the best looking cars of

their decade.  Regrettably, they are a bit lacking

in headroom, and so aren't made for tall people.

How is their reliability?

I like them and would like to own one. Trouble here is dealers ordered them only in red, black, silver, charcoal or solid white- none of which I can live with. 1st choice is Peacock or Thunderbird Blue, then coral, then yellow, then diamond white. Even then a yellow one cannot have yellow dash/seat inserts. Yeah, as uncommon as they are I shouldn't be so picky, but I'm sick of cars in boring colors, no matter what they are.

Dealer about 30 miles from here has had a solid white one for over a year, good miles and priced right and can't move it. I think because of the color.

I heard performance is kind of crappy and in my opinion Ford missed the mark on something they really had a chance to make pop.  The headlights are more reminiscent of a 54 Corvette and lack of chrome even accents on the bumpers, really missed the mark.  With a little work,  one could customize it to look like a modern take on the 54 Vette more than the Tbird.  The fact most got saved probably hasn't helped demand either.  Kind of like the 76 Eldorado convertible or 78 anniversary corvette. 

As usual there is a following with anything not average (think Gremlin or AMC wagon)  but the problem is there is more supply probably than demand. 

Hard to find pastel blue with hardtop and ragtop. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/2003-ford-thunderbird-pastel/6714058502.html

00K0K_djTAdSS5L25_600x450.jpg00e0e_dEaVK67WAra_600x450.jpg

2003 Ford Thunderbird Pastel Blue - $11499 San Francisco  (925) 518-7437

Oops, that interior pic was an accident http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1955-ford-thunderbird/6710890219.html