Question Concerning Swap Meet Days

grubin

Closing in the rain is a big mistake. You know the only people out looking are BUYERS not hagglers. Friday was a great day for everyone from what Im hearing. I dont have a booth setup but all my friends said Friday was one of they're biggest days ever and everyone was ready to go. I think the pentup frustration with Thursday drove everyone out on Friday to get things done. If you left early you made a mistake rain or no rain. Even Saturday seemed very busy in the car corall. 

• Like 3

Rusty 12: YOU. NAILED. IT!!  I will never understand the mentality of vendors who drive hundreds of miles, take hours to set up, then leave at the slightest bit of discomfort due to weather, let alone a pessimistic attitude about selling prospects for the day.   And, as Billorn stated, the people out in the rain truly are looking for something they need, rather than something they can flip.  

Was talking about this at dinner one night last week in Hershey, and my cohorts shared in agreement with my lament:  we have gotten SOFT.  Man, in the old days, when you really had to deal with the Hershey Mud and all?  This is, relatively speaking, a picnic as opposed to trudging around in winter boots and all...

Edited by starfireelvis (see edit history)

Just a few comments.  Hershey was terrific this year despite the weather.  That is the report I got from more than just a few vendors.  The club's sales were up this year and Thursday was busy despite the rain. For the first year I brought a bunch of stuff to sell and sold all but 3 items!  Most of the vendors stayed on Friday this year compared to last year and that is good.

I stopped several bicycle riders  as it just is not safe and against the rules.  There just is not enough people to keep those that wish to break the rules in check.

Empty spaces:  Many were due to the hurricanes prior to the meet and concern from vendors leaving their homes during the recent one.  There were over 9600 spaces paid for.

Red Field South:  I have a thread explaining it and also another thread explaining what Hershey is doing with their 150,000,000 dollar expansion

It is still the best week of the year for me and many others.  Already thinking about next year.  

• Like 1

I agree with all that Steve,  thanks for your efforts throughout the year.  I had a great time even though the rain came and winds, It's Hershey ?. But I continue of seeing so many on these carts and young 20 year old's that look like nothing is wrong with them, but the case of lazy's,  we saw one guy back into my brothers spot on corner almost knocked at least a thousand dollars worth of old taillights off his table, on CH row, another company Southeast Pickers with a big 5 ton flatbed truck almost hit my tables almost hit others he was moving in the people walk area over 7 different times during the day, Wednesday ,Thursday during no vehicle movement. till everyone started screaming at him,people could not move around the truck. I thought several of my neighbors was gonna beat the driver, was not pretty. but aside from all that it was another Great year. I too am planning and cannot wait for October 2019 to be here.

Folks on bikes are a danger to meet. Some fellow who should have  know better, almost clipped me on Friday, and I don't heal like I used to. Every year you have two fellows in a cart going a little too fast through the car corral. People are people. I am surprised that no one gets seriously hurt during the meet. Steve,  thank you and all the folks involved that make  Hershey a success year after year. John

I know most people do not like to complain but if there is a vendor operating in an unsafe manner or anything you see that should be reported to the region  please go to the Hershey Region main tent on the Chocolate Field and calmly let them know what the problem is.  They have means to deal with it. 

I dread having to move my suburban through the crowd as on two days I have to leave early due to duties outside the park.  It is dangerous as can be.  The whole issue of motorized vehicles of any type is our single largest exposure to liability for the event.  It is too easy for someone to be distracted whether it is a pedestrian or someone driving a cart.  I rarely use my cart but have to ignore it when someone yells my name or risk hitting someone. I am sure some people think I am being rude, I am not just scared to avert my eyes!

This year I might be much more proactive in talking about those that violate our rules.  Not my job but it is my job to protect our members and the public.

15 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I know most people do not like to complain but if there is a vendor operating in an unsafe manner or anything you see that should be reported to the region  please go to the Hershey Region main tent on the Chocolate Field and calmly let them know what the problem is.  They have means to deal with it. 

Thanks for the tip Steve. Have to file this away for next year.

What would really help is if Hershey Region had a cell phone number that attendees could text photos to so they could report situations in a timely manner. Till one walks from a far away field to their tent, a situation could easily turn into an accident that could have been prevented.

16 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I dread having to move my suburban through the crowd as on two days I have to leave early due to duties outside the park.  It is dangerous as can be.  The whole issue of motorized vehicles of any type is our single largest exposure to liability for the event.  It is too easy for someone to be distracted whether it is a pedestrian or someone driving a cart.  I rarely use my cart but have to ignore it when someone yells my name or risk hitting someone. I am sure some people think I am being rude, I am not just scared to avert my eyes!

I think a lot of us share your safety concerns and understand the need to concentrate when driving a car or golf cart at a crowded meet like Hershey.

Sadly, on Thursday my friends and I saw a number of vehicles (pickups. SUVs and a couple cars) going up and down the rows of the flea meet shopping for parts. Those vehicles posed a HUGE safety threat given how the drivers and passengers were scanning the vendors areas while moving up and down the isles. Nothing blocks an isle in the flea market like an F350 Super Duty with towing mirrors parked (in the isle) while 2 or 3 of it's passengers jump out to do some shopping. 

I guess next year I will have to shoot some videos of situations like this so Hershey Region can deal it.

Speaking of bicycles, has Hershey region ever given some thought to actually posting signs at the entrances listing the rules (ie no bikes, etc)???

That along with the list of the rules included in the vendor packets might help.

Charlie