Dented '37 and paint

BuicksBuicks

A couple of weeks ago my ’37 Buick ended up with a significant front fender dent while parked outside of an antique auto shop. The fault was acknowledged by an insured flatbed driver but that’s not the issue. Paint IS the issue. The dent and paint are being handled by a shop familiar with antique cars. What’s going to happen is that I will have a shiny new paint on one front fender and eighty one year old paint on the rest of the car.

I’m not looking to paint the rest of the car. It’s a survivor/driver so there are paint issues in several areas around the car. What kind of paint can I use to even out the mismatched fenders or to repair the other damaged paint? Is there a rattle-can remedy or do I need to breakout the compressor? What type of paint- lacquer or enamel? What kind of primer?

Most newer paint products are a two step process, the color is layered under a clear coat . The clear gloss can be modified with flatting to modify it. I used it on the interior of my 49 to about 3/4 of gloss of exterior.The color match in in my case was excellent,although it was a complete repaint it ,original color of car could be seen under removed trim,in my case it was metallic gray , surprised that it was so close to original color as cars original paint.

I worked on an unrestored '49 Special a few years ago. We had to replace one front fender due to rust. It was a black car with original black paint and the original was faded and lightly scratched. The newly-painted and installed fender stuck out like a sore thumb and made the rest of the car look bad. I took some 800-grit sandpaper and went over the entire fender lightly  wet-sanding it with its new paint. Then I did not buff it out, just left it that way with 800-grit sanding marks on it. When I was done, you could not tell the difference between the original paint and the new paint.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

• Like 1

800 grit sounds awfully coarse but I may just go for it. It's going to depend on what the body shop owner says and if he's willing to work with the modified paint. For the time being the insurance is slowing things down. 

As for repairing the other damaged original paint, any recommendations for primer or final coat? Lacquer or enamel? Rattle can black enamel comes out slightly darker than the original black.

• 2 weeks later...