RICHELIEUMOTORCAR

1937 Chrysler Airflow removed from our barn. It's available.

Hi guys. I have one of the Airflows out of the barn and the car is now available. I always post my cars here on our site first, so our members can have first chance. This Airflow has been in the family a long time. I Just removed it from the barn not long ago where it was stored for the last 22 years. If you know my history regarding cars that have been sitting for long periods of time, 22 years inside is not long considering how many decades some of our other cars have been sitting. The last time the Airflow was out was around 1996/97. I used to drive this car everywhere. Took it on tours, shows ect. This was one of the most reliable old cars I have ever owned. I installed an electric fuel pump around 1995 and put sealed beam headlights behind the original glass headlights. With the Overdrive engaged, the car would run 70mph at low rpm on the highway all day. Everything worked 100% including the clock. Car has 40k original miles. The body is straight. Original running boards are solid and still have the original rubber on them. Wood in the floors needs to be replaced. The trunk floor is rusty. The car needs to be restored. The original interior was still pretty good when it went into the barn, however, somehow, as often happens, the mice and squirrels got into the car and literally ate the interior, I mean they ate just about everything. Seat frames are still good and some material is left for patterns. I have not tried to start the car, I know the drivetrain is excellent. The car will come back to life. Asking a very fair and reasonable 10k. Thank you.

IMG_5965.JPG

IMG_5939.JPG

IMG_5966.JPG

IMG_5967.JPG

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When this Airflow sells, I can open the area up behind it where there is another Airflow, a first year 34 Chrysler model in about the same condition. A package deal is possible. I plan to put in a good battery and see if she fires up. Oil is full and clean plus I put Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders now and then while the car was in storage to keep the engine free. In the meantime, if I can make room on the trailer, it will ride along to Hershey. Lowest price complete Chrysler Airflow on the market at this time.

A few nights ago, I put a battery in the 34 Airflow, cleaned the plugs, checked the cap and wires and hit the starter button. The 34 actually turned over so I put a can of gas to the carb and the car started up. It runs fine. I have to replace the battery cables on the 37 as they fell apart over time. I plan to do this after we are back from Hershey to get the 37 running as well. I will make a package deal, 20k firm for both the 34 and the 37, otherwise, they can stay here. Nobody will match that price, anywhere for two complete restorable Chrysler Airflows. The 34 held up well, solid floors and trunk. I will take and post photos of the 34 next week.

• Like 1

Well, both Airflows, the 37 and 34 sold to a good home. However, once again, they went to someone outside of our forum. I must have posted 40 cars on this site over the last few years and maybe 20 sold but out of that 20, I believe only 1 or maybe 2 cars sold to people directly related to our site. I think my prices are very low compared to what some other people are asking for their cars here and that includes both restored cars as well as project cars. Does anyone actually sell a car from posting on the forum? Not a big deal, I am just curious to hear honest answers. Ebay and Craigslist seem to be the way to go. With that said, I have more Airflows, alot of them including a rare 34 Chrysler Airflow coupe and an even rarer 37 Chrysler Airflow coupe, one of 230 made I recall, plus some DeSoto Airflows. All have been kept in dry storage for 70+ years. If there is any serious interest in the coupes, send me a message. They will be priced fair but they are not going to be cheap and it make take until next spring to dig them out. There is a 37 Airflow coupe for sale now at 145k.

I have a theory that most of the people on the forum have been involved with the hobby for a considerable length of time and already own enough cars to run into a limit {time, space, money, looking after what we already own, spousal approval  to name a few} that prevents buying any more cars. 

I am sure that many on the forum ; myself included, would like to buy another car however unless a true "once in a lifetime " deal on a car we have longed after for perhaps decades are not in a position to stretch our limiting factor any further. 

Unfortunately many of us must face the reality that we are not getting any younger, our garages are not getting any larger, and our bank balances are showing painfully slow {if any } growth.

Greg in Canada

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I have a theory that most of the people on the forum have been involved with the hobby for a considerable length of time and already own enough cars to run into a limit {time, space, money, looking after what we already own, spousal approval  to name a few} that prevents buying any more cars. 

I am sure that many on the forum ; myself included, would like to buy another car however unless a true "once in a lifetime " deal on a car we have longed after for perhaps decades are not in a position to stretch our limiting factor any further. 

Unfortunately many of us must face the reality that we are not getting any younger, our garages are not getting any larger, and our bank balances are showing painfully slow {if any } growth.

Greg in Canada

I agree 1000% Greg. You hit the nail spot on. Having this many cars is overwhelming to say the least. It's almost embarrassing. It's also not impressive, it's stupid as the cars start to own you if you let them. At times, I want to run them all over with my forklift and scrap everything. Ah, that last part was a joke guys.

Well, I for one am glad that you have protected all these cars all these years that others may still enjoy them.  It is equally impressive that after all this time you are letting them go to others.  I know some that will not part with even a door handle to help others who love these old cars like we all do.  Take a bow, you've done a great job taking care of these treasures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

You've actually sold cars to people from THIS forum?

image.png.15ec39c0e60c0b1c41ec73a82f85de41.png

I have sold four, two this year

1 hour ago, rareindian said:

Well, I for one am glad that you have protected all these cars all these years that others may still enjoy them.  It is equally impressive that after all this time you are letting them go to others.  I know some that will not part with even a door handle to help others who love these old cars like we all do.  Take a bow, you've done a great job taking care of these treasures!

Well, that is about the nicest thing anyone here has said to me. I receive many messages and comments about the cars but a number of them are negative, saying I am a car hoarder which is not the case here. Thank you. Kind words mean so much. Soon, I am going to start posting alot of parts, mostly pre war 2 stuff along with some 50s, 60s and 70s parts that I don't want to be bothered listing online for sale. I will offer items here for very little money. In fact, I may offer parts for free, however, it must be to people who really need the parts to finish a project. 

To me its very good that these cars have been kept and not scrapped .During the korea war scrap metal was very expensive and all the expensive prewar cars like minervas that survived the war have been scrapped because of the high price of scrap metal .You did get more money to scrap it than to sell it as a used car .Down here in Belgium the US cars came in very cheap because of the weak dollar then and all those prewar cars ended up in the scrap .They would first put them on fire and then assemble the left over metal and make a new washing machine out of the metal later or a missile for the army.

• Like 1

Correct Daniel. Although some cars came here during the Korea era, most of the older cars came in during the WW2 scrap drives. My uncle would wait around at the scrap yards during the war to see what was being towed in for scrap. If the scrapper was going to offer, say, 20 dollars for a car, we would offer the seller 40 dollars and tow the car home. An extra 10 or 20 dollars was alot of extra money in someone's pockets during the war years. We did not do this to get rich, we paid more than scrap value to get hold of the special cars so we lost money at the time but we saved hundreds of rare cars that would have been scrapped over 70 years ago. We went so far as to have some cars shipped back to the US from parts of Europe that were also doomed for scrap. I have a very rare Talbot from the 1930s that was shipped here many moons ago. ☺️

• Like 1

I agree that you have some very interesting cars. I would love to read a complete inventory sometime.  Don't let anyone deter you as you have done a great service to the hobby by preserving these cars for future generations. 

• Like 1