Anyone Built Their Own Roadway Antenna?

Hi Guys,

I'm adding a factory radio to my car but I'd rather not punch a couple holes in the cowl to add the antenna. The original "Roadway Antenna" that fits under the running board would be the answer but it's proving a little difficult to locate one that might be usable. I don't think it would be too difficult to fabricate this style of antenna, and I'm not worried about any judging, so I'm wondering if anyone here has made this type of antenna for their car?

I have also heard of some just mounting a regular exterior mount antenna under the running board with good results. Can anyone here confirm or deny this?

Thanks, Greg

Amateur_radio_installed_in_car_1919.jpg

Almost anything made of metal and insulated from the car will work for an antenna. The roadway antenna was just a piece of sheet steel, bolted to the bottom of the running board with rubber insulators so far as I know. No reason a regular antenna won't work mounted under the car. Some early 30s cars with fabric roof inserts used the wire mesh in the roof as an antenna. They came with a wire from the mesh, down the front door post behind the instrument panel for the purpose.

No chicken wire in the sliding roof to use, so I "hid" an antenna in the wooden running board of my 33 Austin.

Back in the late '70s, a friend gave me a used Mercedes AM/FM push button radio. I made a mount to hide it under the driver's seat where it couldn't be seen looking in the car, but I could still work the on/off volume & tuner knobs and the preset push buttons by feel.  Ran a coax cable from an old car antenna down to the running board inside a bracket so it's not easily seen. Routed a groove in the running board and epoxied a copper wire in it the same length as a standard car antenna. Then sanded it flush and painted the board.    FM reception was good when I lived on Long Island, but being horizontal the antenna has much greater range for AM reception.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Some years ago I installed an under running board antenna on a 34 Auburn with a original Auburn / Crosley radio.   With all of the noise suppressors under the hood the  sound quality was not good.   We resorted to sewing 600 ohm twin lead wire into the convertible top.  This was a significant improvement.   In Auburn speedsters the seat springs are isolated from the body and work OK as the antenna.   In my other Auburns the radios have been converted to AM-FM and the antenna is similar to post #3 above. 

3 hours ago, PFitz said:

No chicken wire in the sliding roof to use, so I "hid" an antenna in the wooden running board of my 33 Austin.

Back in the late '70s, a friend gave me a used Mercedes AM/FM push button radio. I made a mount to hide it under the driver's seat where it couldn't be seen looking in the car, but I could still work the on/off volume & tuner knobs and the preset push buttons by feel.  Ran a coax cable from an old car antenna down to the running board inside a bracket so it's not easily seen. Routed a groove in the running board and epoxied a copper wire in it the same length as a standard car antenna. Then sanded it flush and painted the board.    FM reception was good when I lived on Long Island, but being horizontal the antenna has much greater range for AM reception.

Paul

This is interesting info Paul, thanks. I am installing an original radio which only has AM.

You don't mention what year and voltage your car is, but I have been using the same type antenna as suggested in post #3. My car is 12 volts and it works very well. The type I have will not work on 6 volt cars as it requires a 12 volt input. The one pictured doesn't look like it has a 12 volt input so it might work, give the manufacturer a call.

Woodie, my car is a 1938 and it's still 6 volt. It has the screw on type of antenna lead rather than the later style push in like 1937-44 posted.

I like that idea. If they made one to fit my application that's the way I'd go.

Thanks Steve I will try to locate one of those.

Appreciate the input Terry, thanks. Another member posted that same info a little further up. My car is too old for that push in type of connection. I need the older screw on type.

Greg

Much might depend upon what frequencies you wish to receive.  I am presently using a simple one wire antenna approximately 10" long that is attached to the inside of the windshield.  No problems whatsoever in receiving whatever I need anywhere between 45 MHz and 475 MHz  (fire and ambulance communications).