Merrimac Body Company body styles

MICKTHEDIG

According to this account Merrimac made 12 deluxe touring bodies for Puritan Motors, the Boston Lincoln dealer in 1921. Ford took over Lincoln before the order was completed so the last 6 bodies were sold to Ford. These were the only bodies Merrimac supplied to the Lincoln company.

That is not to say other bodies were not made to customer's orders, who wanted a Merrimac body instead of the factory offerings. Apparently Merrimac made high quality bodies and was an OEM supplier to American Rolls Royce.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/m/merrimac/merrimac.htm

The depression of 1920 & 1921 was a big problem for the new Lincoln company. Having batch bodies built in combinations of five or ten was commonplace. It also wouldn’t necessarily carry a custom tag. Many manufacturers of coachbuilt bodies had their work placed on cars at the factory and sold as “stock factory bodies”. Phillips, Centeral, and a bunch of others did this well into 1928 and early 1929. By 1930 85 percent of them were gone, and almost all the others followed quickly thereafter. This particular body style was popular with resorts and hotels in the northeast. Neat car. Post more photos please, outside if possible. Thanks, Ed.

Looks good! Sitting a bit high from the "new" springs........probably done forty years ago. I like the port hole in the rear flap. Jack Passy's son may be able to help you with more info.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing like having a 100 birthday cellebration with your car........I had one a few years ago with my Ford T. My father was born in 1922.........doesn't sound like it was that long ago............ Sure miss the old guy........