1931 Oldsmobile Wire Wheels, Caps, Parts...

kcybr

Great car and thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it! They are definitely 18in 6 lug on the '31. Also you are correct, the Wood and Wires are the same dimensions but the hub caps are different.

I'll post a picture tomorrow!

I really like that car as I’ve always had a soft spot for 5W coupes and would definitely be interested if it were closer. It would cost me at least $1600 to get it back to me. It’s also a business coupe rather than a rumble seat coupe which lessens it value and there was a ton of 31’s made compared to 32’s. There’s a good chance, if the motor has never been rebuilt that the rod bearings are probably shot as it’s common (Babbitt disintegration) with the Olds motors along with a tapered bore due to the long stroke and old, very aggressive rings. Motor rebuild, interior, and paint one is quickly up to $20k in those costs alone. Add another $12-$15k to chrome an Olds (a single wood wheel hubcap can cost $400 to rechrome) and one is into a $30k value car with close to a $50-60k investment. Not that we do this hobby as an investment as we all know it’s a losing proposition, but one has to understand the aspects and know the ball park value of the subject. Because it’s a coupe though, it’s still worth more than a sedan but the value to me here in MA would be in the $5000 range due to hard to find missing parts and it’s overall condition. It’s taken me three years to either find or make the parts that were missing on my Olds. What I have going for me is my car is a very low production (249) and the most desirable model of 32’ which is also considered “the year” for pre war cars. (At least in many opinions)

with th all that said, I look at it every time I visit the forums and hope it finds someone to bring it back in its original configuration.

i hear what your saying, This car is solid enough to just repair & leave in As Found Survivor condition ... I think IF the motor needs rebuilt that would be the Big Ticket

As much as i appreciate a restored car, I prefer the unrestored ones like this .... They are original only once.   I can tell you 100% if i didn't have so much on my plate right now id own that thing.

Anyway, Hopefully someone does grab it ..... so i don't have to 

My apologies to the original poster kcybr for Hi-Jacking his post 

I got all excited when I saw a few more replies! Only to find out my post was hijacked!! Lol. No worries, if it helps me land my wire wheels and caps I don't care. Nice car by the way, wish I can own them all.

So, who's got the wheels?!??

Only found wood wheels, no wires. Sorry. I noticed you commented in another thread about an Olds heater. If you’re going for authenticity, your 31’ would not have had an “Oldsmobile” labeled heater. The heaters used in GM cars of the era were made by Harrison and while Chevy got a small “Chevrolet” labeled unit, brands like Olds, Pontiac, and Buick got the same, much larger generic Harrison SR. Unit. There was no brand labeling on heaters until 34 I believe. Below is pictured an NOS Harrison Senior I was able to acquire for my 32’ Olds. I even have a copy of the 1932 Olds factory technical installation bulletin for it.

99292B0C-7F40-498F-9CF2-625EC0688679.jpeg

5A86EA18-E0D7-40BB-A1DA-938D263458DC.jpeg

BE0B0ED3-26D0-4835-A2EB-4A59B3833344.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It would help a lot if all these old parts had a birth certificate with them,since none do,then other factors have to be considered. Your pictured wheels are pretty close to Chevy wheels but how close? If you posted the hole pattern,inside hole diameter, hubcap hole diameter and number of spokes,a guy with a few wheels on a rack could go through them and let you know if they had one or more. I would for sure.

Also,,,

some of us visit wrecking yards that have a ton of wheels, but as you can imagine the wheels are sometimes thrown all over the yards randomly so if you were to post a pic of the back of the rim, that sometimes helps us ID as well. …

Many wheels are just laying in piles and a lot of times the back is the only thing showing so it helps us look at parts quicker.  Remember, these wheels are heavy and sorting through a stack in the back of a fire truck isn't usually an option, especially in the heat it will wear you out quick ! Usually we can lift things out of the way and take a peak to see if a rim is close then if it is, we dig further for it and pull it out,  but digging through every pile is almost impossible when you're looking at 80 acres of parts in 90 plus degrees. 

Dont crush me bro 001.JPG

Dont crush me bro 4 113.JPG

Dont crush me bro 4 114.JPG

Dont crush me bro 4 038.JPG

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Why don't you ? If you're ever in Phoenix (AZ that is...) let me know and I'll see if you and the owner can hook up. He isn't open to the public randomly so a call ahead would be needed.

I wish I could see the yard up in your area in Snohomish ? WA... I heard he used to have a lot of Dodge truck parts.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1