VIN location help

tubbytommy

1 hour ago, tubbytommy said:

I have a 1931 Chrysler CM 6 and need to locate the VIN's for an inspection by the state to get the title in my name. New Mexico MVD said I need to show 2 identical stampings or tags. ANY help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Start by talking to a supervisor at the MVD who has a clue to the fact that cars that old don't even have two identical stampings...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tubbytommy said:

I have a 1931 Chrysler CM 6 and need to locate the VIN's for an inspection by the state to get the title in my name. New Mexico MVD said I need to show 2 identical stampings or tags. ANY help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Nice car.  See here:

https://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin

It's geared to Plymouth but mostly applicable to Chrysler as well.  Briefly, early MoPars have no VIN as such.  They have a serial number, an engine number, and a body number.  Some states used the serial number and some used the engine number.  The serial number is on a tag on the right front door post, the engine number is on the left front of the block below the head, and the body number is on a tag on the engine side firewall.  Hopefully the numbers are still there and one matches your title.  As for two numbers, joe_padavano may be right.  The engine number was stamped on the left frame rail around the rear axle kick-up, but I think that started after 1931 - and it wouldn't match if the engine has been changed.  I've heard the serial number was stamped on the right frame rail near the rear mount of the front spring but I've never verified that - so I don't know if it's true or, if so, when it started.

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Nice car.  See here:

It's geared to Plymouth but mostly applicable to Chrysler as well.  Briefly, early MoPars have no VIN as such.  They have a serial number, an engine number, and a body number.  Some states used the serial number and some used the engine number.  The serial number is on a tag on the right front door post, the engine number is on the left front of the block below the head, and the body number is on a tag on the engine side firewall.  Hopefully the numbers are still there and one matches your title.  As for two numbers, joe_padavano may be right.  The engine number was stamped on the left frame rail around the rear axle kick-up, but I think that started after 1931 - and it wouldn't match if the engine has been changed.  I've heard the serial number was stamped on the right frame rail near the rear mount of the front spring but I've never verified that - so I don't know if it's true or, if so, when it started.

On my '33 Plymouth the engine number, well almost the engine number, is stamped on the driver side frame rail between the running board supports. I say "almost" because my car is a PD and the number on the frame rail says PC but has the same sequence number. I am pretty sure it was a production line mistake as the build card for my car shows the body, engine and serial numbers that are on my car.

And thinking of the build card, it might be possible for someone at the MVD to call Chrysler Historical with the serial number and verify that the engine number matches Not sure about that, but back in 1978 when I moved to Maryland my car had NY paperwork that used the engine number. I asked the lady at the counter if I could have the MD paperwork use the serial number and she disappeared for about 45 minutes. When she came back she said "it matches up" and issued the paperwork using the serial number. At the time I thought she was just taking a break and used research on my paperwork as an excuse for taking a long time. But later I found out about the existence of build cards and now think she might have phoned Chrysler to verify the information.

Finally, while I only have Plymouth serial numbers on the page you referenced, the "calculator" on the top right of the page uses tables that covers North American Chrysler built cars up to 1974 so you can enter your serial number or early VIN and see what where it was built, etc. I have a few tables with engine numbers for it to use too but that is pretty spotty.

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Nice car.  See here:

Correct. There is probably a faintly stamped number on the driver's side of the frame near the rear axle. It will look something like this DeSoto number....

Picture 9096.jpg

32 minutes ago, ply33 said:

...And thinking of the build card, it might be possible for someone at the MVD to call Chrysler Historical with the serial number and verify that the engine number matches...

Good point.  I got from the OP that the MVD wants to see the title number (whatever that may be) on two different locations on the car.  IF the title number is the engine number and IF it's also stamped on the frame, that would be best.  Otherwise, IF both the engine number and serial number are still on the car and IF the title number is one of them and IF the OP can get the build card and IF it shows the car having been built with both numbers, that MIGHT satisfy the MVD.  Does Chrysler Historical still sell copies of the build card?

You are advised to use the Serial # on passenger front door post. It will always be there and is easy to see and read. Engine may have been swapped out so that will not match anything. The number inscribed on frame is hard to find typically (under several layers of paint/rust). Goodluck

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

You are advised to use the Serial # on passenger front door post. It will always be there and is easy to see and read. Engine may have been swapped out so that will not match anything. The number inscribed on frame is hard to find typically (under several layers of paint/rust). Goodluck

Of course if the engine was swapped out, it will not match the frame number in which case the only way to verify two numbers was to go to the Chrysler Museum History Department. Unfortunately, the museum is closed now and I believe the service center for the build cards is not available right now. Hopefully, they will restore that very important service to us.

19 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

It will always be there, easy to see and read, assuming the tag is still there.  Anyway, if I read the OP right, his MVD wants to see the title number stamped and/or tagged in two different locations on the car - seems overly strict but whatever.  AFAIK, even if the car has all its original numbers, the engine/frame number is the only one that appears in two places.

ChryCo and some states tracked a car by the door post serial number but other states used the engine/frame number.  I'm speculating but I'd guess NM is one of the latter.  If so, some clerk may have looked in the MVD manual and found that a 1931 Chrysler should have the number on the engine and the frame.  That may have been true 87 years ago but as you say, a lot could have happened in the meantime.  I'm coming to the conclusion that unless the OP can show that his engine and frame numbers match each other and the title, he needs to find a knowledgeable MVD supervisor to help.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 1