Need help identifying a chassis

54Coupe

3 minutes ago, 54Coupe said:

I have a. chassis with #5 Buffalo wire wheels and external contracting hydraulic brakes. We think it is  late 20’s or 30’s.

Thank You

Without photos it will really be tough to identify.

External contracting hydraulic brakes are probably early style Lockheed braking system. There are a couple other possibilities, mostly foreign. There were quite a few automobile manufacturing companies that used those brakes beginning about 1922, and adding more each year. Some years ago, I saw an ad for them, it listed several of the marques using them at the time. Paige used Lockheed brakes, I don't recall when they began (it was about '25). I believe that Peerless also used them (I knew a couple people that had Peerless automobiles, and we compared notes on the brakes (the early system was a bit tricky, but worked great once you understand them). By 1928, hydraulic brakes were switching to internal expanding brakes. The 1929 Reo I had years ago had internal hydraulic brakes, and worked more like modern (relatively speaking) braking systems. Most companies using the early Lockheed brakes were smaller producers, looking for a sales edge. However, I think that Chrysler was one that used them also. Chrysler may have also offered optional Buffalo wire wheels on their larger models.

I sure would like to see some good pictures of the chassis.

to post a picture.

Start a post. Put in some text.

Scroll down a bit till you see the paper clip.

Either drag and drop into that grey area, or click on choose files.

Choose a file or two and select Open or whatever at bottom right. They will appear in the grey area.

Put your cursor where you want the picture in your post. Left click on the thumbnail in the grey area and the picture will appear in your post.

To put in another, press enter (go to next line. Pictures are treated as characters in your post).

Left click on the next picture.

Done!

I was looking at an ad for Lockheed brakes today in Automotive Industries from 1924 and it listed 8 or 9 companies using them.

• Duesenberg
  • Peerless Collins Six, Peerless Eight 
  • Chalmers
  • Kissel
  • Paige
  • Stutz
  • Haynes
  • Wills Ste. Claire

A 12 hp Bean auto in the UK and the Elcar 8-80 used them that year, too, as well as Timken Axle, Eaton Axle, and Columbia.

11 hours ago, 54Coupe said:

Do you think that there were a lot of manufacturers with external contracting hydraulic brakes? I don’t do computers too much, and have no idea how to post a photo. 

If you care to send the photos to me, i will post them here.

keiser 31 @ charter . net

no spaces.

The brakes, tube front axle and pinion adjustment on the rear axle all point towards Chrysler. I have a 1926 Chrysler G70 with type HC4 buffalo wire wheels ( and I'm still looking for some good wheels), but I believe the Model E80 Imperials were fitted with type 5 Buffalo wire wheels . I think this is probably what you have and I would say most likely it is between 1926 to 1928.

Viv

The arched cross member near the rear of the frame in question seems to be a bit different as the Chrysler item drops below the frame side rails and kicks back up. The item in question seems to be level with the side rails.

1928 Chrysler frame.jpg

Certainly mid to late '20s. I have a model 6-45 Paige, and I can tell you it isn't one of those. I doubt that it would be any Paige based upon the front axle, but I do not know all the models they made.

I do hope someone can recognize it and get it to the right place for restoration.