Headlight jiggle

Barney Eaton

There has been lots written about the headlight not opening or stuttering when going up.   That problem is usually the arm/bellcrank or the 3 plastic rollers inside the motor.

There is another condition ..........I first noticed it when following one of those polished aluminum semi trailers.....my headlight were jiggling....like they were bouncing.

The problem is the UPSTOP........you will not find the part in the service manual or parts book.......it is like it does not exist.

Below I have attached a picture that shows a bad plastic nut and a good one.

When the headlight is completely open, there is slop in the linkage....even good linkage.   The pivots have a little slop, the link has a little slop, the arm has a little slop and the motor has a little slop........

it all adds up and if your UPSTOP plastic nut is broken, you can move the headlight maybe 1/4 inch.   That movement when following someone is almost like you are flashing you light at them.

You can replace the UPSTOP nut without removing anything......open the hood and they are on the fender side of the headlight assembly.    You may find it easier to work on if you remove the painted cover.

Once you get the old broken nut out,  install the new nut (these are available at auto parts stores and home improvement stores, usually in blister packs or 4-5 in a pack...you need them for #8 screws)

Then screw in the UPSTOP adjustment screw.... adjust the screw up until there is no slop in the headlight.   If you have one of the newer ratcheting box end wrenches it is pretty easy.

Now when you headlight are up and on the lights will not be jiggling.

Upstop V.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

There is another condition ..........I first noticed it when following one of those polished aluminum semi trailers.....my headlight were jiggling....like they were bouncing.

The problem is the UPSTOP........

I had the same problem when I first got my Reatta. The upstop was bad. I didn't know what to use to fix it so I used the adjustable screw from a door stop part that I found at Lowes. You can see the screw I used in the photos. It can be adjusted with a screwdriver  Instead of the door hitting a solid plastic screw when it is fully opens it hits a rubber stop that has a little give to it.

door-hinge-pin-stop2.jpg

SAM_1829.JPG

SAM_1830.JPG

• Like 2