1937hd45

Hershey 2018

7 hours ago, 4Hud said:

Dad and I are ready to go, last time we went in 2012 this 1950 Kaiser Vagabond followed us home to Alberta. This was my first trip to Hershey. Old car heaven folks. 

IMG_1668.JPG

I recall seeing that car in 2016 at the International Antique Car Meet that was held in Wetaskwin that year.   I was wondering where it came from, as I didn't recall Larry Campbell in Camrose ever owning one like that.

Craig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danleblanc said:

The wife loves the flea market just as much as I do (and she's a better haggler too - maybe it's the boobs

I noticed a couple across the isle from me talking but I noticed her most. She came across to my stall enquiring about a Suburban tailgate I had. Batting her eyes trying to get a very very good price I noticed him trying to get her attention.  I told him please wait I will be just a min. to hold on when he asked if it was for a Blazer. They both walked away him giving heck for not asking. 

Dave, you have N.O.S. Hershey mud and I have an assortment of the old cardboard signs that were stapled to stakes at the end of every aisle. I have them on my garage wall and every time I look at them I think of Hershey. Kind of hard to drive in stakes in the blacktop. Hey Dave, I see that you say you are bringing along Model A parts. You wouldn't have a '29 Ford Coupe gas tank would you?

14 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Dave, you have N.O.S. Hershey mud and I have an assortment of the old cardboard signs that were stapled to stakes at the end of every aisle. I have them on my garage wall and every time I look at them I think of Hershey. Kind of hard to drive in stakes in the blacktop. Hey Dave, I see that you say you are bringing along Model A parts. You wouldn't have a '29 Ford Coupe gas tank would you?

Sorry Woodie, I don't have the tank.  My Model A items are predominately shiny stuff and tools.  

This year will be my 16th year at Fall Hershey. Still "wet behind the ears" compared to many here but my ears are just about dry. LOL.

This year will be no different than the last 15. Walking the flea market  for a few days with friends taking in the sights, sounds and smells.

Hunting for Easter Egg parts for my cars. Visiting and catching up with other AACA members I met and have come to know over the years and only see  at Hershey each year. Continuing my tradition of enjoying my annual crab cake sandwiches for lunch. Last but certainly not least  driving onto the Show Field early on Saturday morning with all the sights, sounds and smells that go with that.

This year I am bringing my DPC car to Hershey. Not all that much to look at for some people  but she is 33 years old and I seldom see others like here on the roads these day. I will most definitely enjoy the drive to/from Hershey this year.

One new thing this year. With some luck, a friend of mine ( a car guy) who has never been to Fall Hershey may come this year. 😄 He can only make it on Saturday if things work out. Funny, 16 years ago that is how I got started coming to Fall Hershey.  😁😁

Charlie

• Like 1

From last year when I was kinda stuck with a broken leg.  Bionic now so expect to do a lot more hunting this time.  See you there!

Terry

Hershey_2017_01.jpg

• Like 3

I have only missed two since 1971, will be in my regular spot RCH40-43 Pierce Arrow tent. I expect this will be our last year vending......Im getting too old and had seven hernias fixed from humping all the stuff over the years.

All here are invited to stop by and read their feet, have a drink, and the big bathrooms are about 100 yards away, so if you want to leave your stuff off in a safe place for a pit stop....feel free! Ed

IMG_0225.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a Hershey "virgin" but a neophyte, having been once in 2012. This year will make it number two and, in doing so, hope to meet a few of the people behind the Forum Names as I walk the fields.

My first trip to Hershey was in 1970, as a 16-year old kid, and I think I attended for the next ten years. Convoyed up from Nashville in two VW Beetles with one of my HS old car buddies and his dad and we tent-camped on a narrow grassy strip in one of the parking lots. I recall buying a Model T front spring for myself and a set of '30-31 Model A headlamps on the bar for a friend who couldn't come from nearly adjacent vendors. Unfortunately, the purchases were made at the most distant part of the meet from where our cars and tents were and the long walk back, with the spring in one hand and the headlamps in the other, was rather painful. It took weeks for my arms to stop hurting...

Most years I worked for Tom Warth at the Classic Motorbooks sale tent, where almost everyone stopped at least once. Met a lot of writers who are no longer with us as well as other hobby notables. I vividly recall speaking with the very elegant-looking J. B Nethercutt one year.

My first year, when the car show was in the stadium, I almost got run over by a silent Doble steamer I didn't hear but someone pulled me out of the way at the last moment.

And oh, yes, the rain and the mud... will never forget that. Nor the lines of trucks, RVs, trailers, and cars parked nose to tail on both sides of every road leading into Hershey as far as you could see when they decided to delay a day in opening the fields because of the rain.

Returning this year for the first time since '81, I think, and will be very interested to see how the event has changed.

• Like 1

Been going to Hershey since 1961.  For most of the '60's, you could get there on Saturday morning and have plenty of time to cover the flea market and see the cars.

• Like 1

Will the library be having its Tuesday sale starting at 4 pm this year?  If it was listed, I've missed the announcement.

Well all of you make me look pathetic :P  

I have ONLY been once, back in 2012, looking for part for my Chevrolet I was restoring. never found much, and man was it a COOL WET ONE !! we brought the kids, and had to buy some $1 garden gloves to keep our hands warm. went up on Thursday eve, kids were in school, and headed back Sunday morning. stayed locally in Harrisburg PA. really enjoyed the sites, only covered 1/4 of the field, place is crazy huge. we did walk the car corral, and went up early Saturday and walked the show field.

now that the kids have graduated and are off to college and out living life I plan to go back one day. need to develop a plan for 2019 and just do it. really wish i could go this year, heard there will be TONS of 1929-1932 Chevrolet parts there (good friend is bringing them up).

Ugh

Another Hershey thing I miss from the late '60's and early '70's, besides the mud, is walking the aisles and listening the for the score of the World Series games from any vendor that had it on radio. Remember when baseball was played during the day?

2001 was my first trip & my 21 year old nephew came from western Iowa.  When my brother asked about the swap meet, all Joe would say was “I can’t describe it”.  You have to go next year.  

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 7:24 AM, AJFord54 said:

Will the library be having its Tuesday sale starting at 4 pm this year?  If it was listed, I've missed the announcement.

@AJFord54@46 woodie is correct. The AACA Library Yard sale will be held on Tuesday, October 9th and run from 4 to 7 PM. If you have been here before, you probably already know the drill. If you haven't and have any questions about it please send me a message or call the library. It'll be held at the same place as in previous years - at the AACA Library (501 West Governor Road, Hershey, PA  17033). Hope to see you there!

We shared information on the Yard Sale via Antique Automobile magazine,  AACA's online newsletter Speedster, our Facebook pages, etc. Word of mouth is also good, so please feel free to share this information with your friends if you'd like. 😉

• Like 1

My husband always says that I don't know the real Hershey experience without the mud!  I, for one, am ok with that!

My father in law has been going for over 40 years.

My husband has been with him many, many times.

I've gone 6-7 times since 2001.... however, this year is 5 in a row for me and the first without a vehicle on the show field! :( 

This will be the first time, however, that I'll be working at the Membership tent on the Chocolate field Friday afternoon!  Come say hi!! :) 

On 9/29/2018 at 1:13 PM, 46 woodie said:

Remember when baseball was played during the day?

Yup. And since you and I were born in the mid '40s, we can remember when baseball was played in the Summer. Hershey mud ? And baseball can begin and/or end in the snow these days. To make this somewhat car related, I got my drivers license July 1960. Followed the Pittsburgh Pirates that year, and put all my paper route money I was saving for a car on them in the series. Thank you, Bill Mazerowski !! IMHO there is nothing better than baseball when baseball is at its best. I have a hard time watching it on TV these days. Frustrating when you see how unaware of the strike zone the ump can be. Gotta have balls and strikes called by lasers. Anyway, I really enjoy baseball the way I often did as a kid. On the radio. Balls are balls, and strikes are strikes. Keeps my blood pressure where it ought to be. I sometimes listen to baseball while driving my car. I have been known to park to concentrate on a really good game. Let's see : what else can I do to make this more "car"?     Hmmmm.......... I wonder if Mazerowski drove a Cadillac................. ?        -   CC 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2018 at 9:36 AM, Dave Henderson said:

it's my 55th, and I promise to bring the authentic vintage Hershey mud display!  I'll bring along a few Cord, Jag XK 120 and Model A parts plus tools, and whatever else the cat can help me drag out.   Dave  CE76

MVC-084S.JPG

For a while It looked like I wouldn't be able to come, but circumstances changed and I'm back on track, so the mud is still coming!  Dave  CE76

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)
  • Like 1