jpage

Need photos '36 Dodge

Since it seems that no one reproduces runningboard mats in this country anymore, at least for Dodges, so I've been toying with the idea of producing my own for my '36 Dodge. I had checked with this forum inquiring about Mr. Acuff but had no definitive response so I assume he's out of business too.  What I need are some good, close up photos of original mats so I can get an idea of the original pattern. I also need some measurements of the width of the "rounds" and the width of the grooved "lands"between them. i also need a count of the rounds and good photos of the outer edge finish and it's measurements. I have an old set of what I believe to be aftermarket Plymouth mats but they are a different size than the Dodge and I'm not sure they are patterned correctly.  No one makes any off the shelf matting that is close to the original pattern so I will have to build a model and go from there.Just at the idea stage right now. If I can get this done, these mats will cement to the original board cores like the original ones. I don't want any sprayed on over the board mats like some of the guys do. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks  jim

Jpage, I don't have a pic but I just wanted to let you know that if you go ahead and have these made that I would like to get on your list to buy a set.. I have three metal skins that I striped to metal nice and clean the extra one is pass side if you needed one. I know it's going to take time but keep me in mind... thx

Edited by Uptowndodge
Spelling (see edit history)

I'll see if I can get some decent pics and measurements for you tomorrow.  As you know my D2 is kind of jammed into a garage and lighting is not great.

Hi Jim, here are a few shots of mine. I'll get some measurements after breakfast(!) I'll have to do two posts to keep the quality up. 

Andrew  Just found out it won't let me post more... :(

20180922_075652.jpg

20180922_075705.jpg

20180922_075730.jpg

20180922_075736.jpg

Edited by Dodgenz (see edit history)

Hi Jim. A few more now after giving the system a break. 54mm is the from the edge of the flatter rib at the bottom to the start of the small ones.

320217403_54mmbetweenflatandrib.thumb.jpg.72e281ba9982d43cfb3fe99e7e1e20f6.jpg.

Despite the angle of my 'expensive' Vernier the 3mm is pretty much right - had to lean over for the photo. The small ribs are 1mm high. (Apologies for quoting measurements in new money! )

The large ribs are higher than the flat around the edge of the mat, and the small ribs are level with the flat.

3mm rib height.jpg

20180922_091339.jpg

Edited by Dodgenz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The last three I've got at the moment Jim, but can get more easily if there's something specific you want. Hopefully between Pete and myself that will give you something to work with. I suppose a plaster cast would get you an exact replica to work from...if we wanted to get really carried away!

These are:

18mm across the flat edge piece and 22 from the edge to the big rib.

Two shots showing the big rib higher than the flat edge piece and the smaller ribs being level, as mentioned before.

Andrew

18 across flat 22 to rib.jpg

big rib higher than flat.jpg

small rib level with flat.jpg

I do appreciate all the help you guys have given me, the pictures have been a big help. Now I have to come up with materials suitable for making a model for the mould!

Pete,

Thanks for the photos. If you could, can you get a measurement on the width of the  rounded ribs. From the one photo they look to be more like 3/8 in.wide than 5/16 in.  Thanks  Jim

Getting ready to build a test model to check compatibility of the components and the mould and casting materials.It will also give me an idea of what the finished part will look like. Going to be a lot harder to make 2 full size models!

Pete, yours look slightly different at the ends than mine. My moulding goes over the end of the board, whereas yours finishes short - which will make it easier to reproduce, just a flat mat. ('just'!!). Also they don't appear to come right down over the edge, maybe this is because mine in an export model.??

Jim, I get 11mm across the rounded rib...which I think is about 7/16. (That is from low side to low side of rib).

Thanks Dodgenz for the photos. Looks to me that your boards may have been redone at sometime which makes them different. From what I can tell by the parts book, all of the cars used the same mat , domestic and export, but I could be wrong. I just had a fella PM me to tell me that Acuff and his son are still doing mats but part time. If that's true, i may not pursue this any more, but who knows.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Looks like you could be right there Jim...my other has the more common type- I'd never noticed the difference! Hopefully Acuff can sort you out.

IMG_1501.JPG

I have a 36 plymouth and the boards look the same       I have seen auctions on E bay for 36 Plymouth  around $ 700.00    the ones on my car were done by Hunly    in the 80s    $ 400.00

'36 Plymouth boards look alot like the Dodge but are of different size and do not have an inner outboard flap. I was told recently that Acuff's website was down and the phone number was out of service. Now I'm told that he is still working but on a limited basis. I have not yet contacted him. Still considering making my own.