Florence

NC-car-guy

3.6 inches in 24 hours here at Concord Regional Airport...

That said I got a new wiring harness installed in the 38-87. Replaced the voltage regulator (again) on the 80C (I'm gonna have one converted to solid state, tired of fighting it). Got the instrument panel for my 69 Charger ready to go in the car. Watched Ferrari give away the F1 race this morning and Panthers defense fail to show up against Atlanta. Made my shopping list for Hershey. Discovered a small roof leak is back in the garage (away from the cars)... now what...

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Hope @NC68Riviera and @MCHinson are ok.  Those areas got it bad

We weathered the storm with minimal property damage and the Riviera had no damage what so ever! Thanks for the well wishes. There are a lot of people on the NC/SC coast and low lying areas that are still without power or are still evacuated. Keep them in your prayers, please.

• Like 6

I have been posting via phone over the past week or so in a similar discussion in the Pre-War Buick Forum as well as another similar one in the AACA General Forum. I just found this discussion since I am finally back on a computer. I am not going to bore you with all of my previous posts here. If you want to read them, they are in those other two forums.  We had very minor damage personally. We were without electricity for 4 1/2 days. 

Here is my final storm related post from earlier this evening...

I am happy to report that I am back online via my computer. While without home internet, I used my phone camera to be able to post photos. When I get a chance, I will transfer the phone photos so that I can post them here more easily. Some of the following might not make much sense in this forum, but it is a simple copy and paste from my latest facebook post to cover the latest with the storm recover from my perspective.

This morning I picked up most of the limbs in the yard. I then mowed the lawn since it was the easiest way to pick up the leaves and other small debris.

I removed the anti fatigue mats from the garage to allow the garage floor to dry. I moved some other items outside of the garage, pulled two cars out, opened up the windows and used a fan to get the garage mostly dried out today.

We brought a friend without power over to get a hot shower, wash some laundry, and enjoy the air conditioning. We had a nice visit.

I took a trip over to Lowe's and Sam's Club. I got a few needed items from Lowe's and picked up some pasta, canned chicken, and a few snack items from Sam's Club since they have still not restocked any refrigerated or frozen meats. The trip across town showed a lot of old oak trees down and several places that you can't drive through due to washouts, down trees, down power lines and poles.

Using the supplies from Sam's Club, I was able to cook some Chicken Alfredo for dinner. It was a welcome change.

While walking Daisy after dinner, a couple of folks with a truck and trailer stopped me and asked if I needed anything, as they had brought in a pickup and trailer full of supplies to give away. I told them I was fine but suggested they might want to try the other side of Carolina Beach Road, since those neighbors still don't have electricity and are in worse shape than my neighborhood. I don't know if they were with a church it doing that as individuals. The truck was a business truck with a 704 area code on the door.

This will be my last post in a while from my phone, so I can post a few photos from today that are on my phone because, I can now switch to my regular camera because Spectrum actually got my home internet connection working a few minutes ago!

While I still have a couple of trees to remove from my side property line, I otherwise feel like life is basically back to normal for us. There are plenty of examples of bad things happening but luckily, there are also a lot of examples of friends and strangers helping their fellow man.

• Like 4

While we are fine, I will post a few photos that show my house and some of the types of damage here in Wilmington. Normally strong hurricanes tend to snap Pine Trees. This storm's winds were not as strong as some that we have weathered in the past but it was almost stationary here for so long and dropped so much rain, that we lost a lot more 200+ year old Oak Trees because their relatively shallow root system could not hold in the totally saturated ground.

I had a little bit of siding damaged on my garage. While my property is much higher than the folks who had major flooding problems, we had so much rain that my driveway and back yard had standing water high enough to put just under one inch of water in the garage. It took a while for the water level to drop low enough to start drying out the garage. While the storm basically came in at Wrightsville Beach, adjacent to Wilmington, the more damaging upper right quadrant of the storm hit Topsail Island, New Bern and other areas a bit to our north. We will still have higher flood levels on the Cape Fear River here on Thursday, as waters flow down the river from upstream. Lots of people were flooded in areas that have never flooded before. 

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMDj4q2796VaNHpoBxA8ApTljJKFDrlsYQp2SBt

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMsImvFgglxxj0tsUTA2dsjzZd6usUs_c7-rC2i

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipPz3hlESmkAEpfttEQsAp4Bva-d8qyciAuOcWzo

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipPmZbyGEILVbw8Xkh3BklGVG5MsKTPgnaVX67sS

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMiTYHz2TMaFvlnBDU7svBQwWGRISxlABgEN28c