Posting photos on forum

Bob Engle

I see a number of people not sure how to post multiple photos on the forum.  The issue is that there is a limited amount of data that can be transfered.  There are several ways to deal with this, one is to set your camera for low resolution before taking the photos.  I prefer not to do this.  I like to keep my photos digitally saved on a backup hard drive.  I want the highest resolution I can get with the camera.  This allows blowing the pictures up in size to look at details if needed.  Low resolution photos can't be improved.

For posting on the web forums, I use a free downloadable program called fastinage resizer.  I set the resolution to 800 x600 on the program.  It's then just a matter of drag and drop the desired photos.   with these reduced resolution photos, you can post at least 10 photos on the forum at one time.  I also then keep the resized photos on my backup hard drive.  digital storage is cheap and they can be indexed for ease of future use.

I admire the folks that use software to add arrows and comments on their photos.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

I am lucky at this point as I do most of the photo stuff at work and use a program called "Snagit" been using it for about 8 years now and love it. The version I use is a 2013 version so I know the updated one should do a great deal more. I just looked it up as I think I am going to buy it for at home so i can do more posting of pictures and photo editing. The cost to download is $49.95 US, LOL ($50.00)US, companies always do that so you don't feel like your spending more than $50, I get a chuckle about that. Any way here is a "Snagit" shot of the 2018 pricing. Oh ya I do not work for TechSmith who are the makers of this program I just wanted to post what I use and hope to help someone else. 

9-14-2018 12-52-48 PM.jpg

I have Adobe photo shop but very often just use the "print screen" key, copy to "paint" crop and save.  This allows you to copy any page or photo from any source.

I wrote the following for anyone that wants to put text and arrows on photos and post them.

Putting dimensions on pictures.                                        Hugh Leidlein      1-26-18

First, Obtain the following programs – Microsoft : Word / Power Point / Snipping tool.

The 2 best programs to edit pictures are Microsoft Word or Microsoft Power Point.

Word – Nice that it leaves the page in portrait mode.  Has limited flexibility to move pictures and lines and arrows around.

Power Point – (My choice) it has better flexibility to move objects around for placement.  

Since I like PowerPoint, I will explain how it works, but since these are both Microsoft products, word and power point behave similarly.

Open Power point, select Blank presentation.

Across the top Header are tabs, select Insert, New slide, Blank

You now have 2 small pictures of the pages on the left hand side.  If you click on the top one, you can type in the spaces on the big picture, like adding a title or date.

If you click on the lower smaller box, this gives you a blank slide to edit. 

Adding Pictures.  – select Insert, Picture.  Look for the picture in your folders.

If you always drag the pictures by the corners, it keeps the scale of the original photo.  One side of the photo has a circle on it, and you can rotate pictures. Click on the picture edge, hold the mouse left button down, and you can drag the picture.     

Adding Lines - select Insert, shapes.  Choose the straight lines or single arrowhead lines.  

Adding Text – select insert, text   You can change fonts and text size.

Adding Circles – select Insert, shapes.  Choose circles or boxes.  Right click on the circle, and you can choose the color of the line, and the weight.  You can also choose the color inside the circle, or “no fill” is clear. 

Time saver note:  Line default is a soft blue line.  Once you add the weight to the line and color it, copy and paste it, rather than creating another new line from scratch each time.    

So maybe start with one of my drawings and just copy and paste the arrows and text boxes that I use.  

You can group copy which saves time too by pressing the mouse and dragging to create a box that encompasses all that you want to copy.  

Save your work often. 

Snipping tool - When I am all done, I use snipping tool to photograph each page, and it saves them as .jpg files.  These can be saved to a file and uploaded on the forum.  The forums will not upload word or excel documents.

Hugh

• Like 2

I do all those things @Hubert_25-25 is showing using Open Office Writer (usually) or Impress (rarely). For arrows and a modicum of text, I use the drawing tool in Irfanview. Open Office is open source and free to download and use. Snipping Tool comes with Windows 10. If you use Firefox, a screen shot (like Snipping Tool) can be done from the right click menu. From Snipping Tool and Firefox screen shot, I usually just copy to clipboard and paste in a reply on the forum.

• Like 1

Regarding editing photographs:

I use Faststone Image Processor ... I have used it for at least 10 years. Very good. It has

multiple features for modifying photos and it is easy to Resize them as  you like. The

program is shareware .... free. They do encourage you to make a small donation if you like.

I have also use Microsoft Office products for manipulating photos and drawing on them.

But, not everyone has Office. Most MS Windows users do have Paint on their computers.

It comes with Windows. This program is easy to use and you can make arrows and comments

on your photographs and save in multiple formats.