Early 1960s GM Turn signal switch and switch circuit

gregleck

I was planning to drive my 1962 Oldsmobile 88 250 miles to the Hemmings Cruise In and Concours this weekend.

Front seat was out to have tunnels put in for seat belts, so I could not take it in for inspection when it was due back in July.

Seat went in Sundday.  Car failed inspection on Monday due to inoperable turn signal on passenger side. This turn signal works intermittently - I have gotten out of vehicle to look at front and rear signals when turn signal indicator is working and the signals are working at that time.  Other times passenger side indicator light is not lighting up and signals on passenger side are not working.

Driver's side turn signals working consistently.

Passenger brake light and parking light are operable.

Flasher was hot to the tough when turn signal lever was being activated.  Replaced flasher - still not working.

That leaves either the turn signal switch, which is located on the steering column under the dash, or the turn signal actuator assembly inside the steering column as the likely sources of the problem.

What would you suggest as the next step?

Going to Hemmings now looks like a forlorn hope.

The same flasher operates both sides so if ANY lights flash, the flasher module is not the problem. Could be the switch, could be wiring, could be grounds. Not sure about the full size cars, but my 62 F-85 has aluminum front turn signal reflectors with swaged in steel sockets and mounting bolts. Galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and steel makes an intermittent ground path. I've had to run a separate ground wire directly to the bulb to get that one to work.