40 Series 55...looking 4 info on replacing chassis

dly6605

I have been working on my 1940 Series 55 for a few years now. Finally able to drive it around a bit, but i ma  thinking of changing out the chassis complete to some late model chassis

so i have the disc brakes  / safety / reliability and a bit more speed. Any ideas on where to start...

Thanks

dly6605,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Without trying to be mean, the AACA is all about restoration or preservation of antique cars as they were originally equipped. You will find better advice elsewhere concerning making your car into a modified vehicle. Many people attempt such a swap and end up with more problems than solutions.

I would encourage you to restore the car. The technology of 1940 will surprise you at how reliable it can be. I recently drove my stock, 6 volt, bia ply tire 1937 Buick Century from NC to Indiana for a 36-38 Buick Club tour and an AACA National Meet after the 2014 Ford F250 tow vehicle died on the trip. Correctly restored, your car should be fine.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Start by selling the car and buying something more modern. I am not joking. What you are talking about can be done, by an experienced shop for a cost of $50,000 or so if you want a satisfactory result. Or you could half ass it with a second hand pickup truck chassis and end up scrapping the car. In any case, after the conversion, in a few years the value of the car would be practically nil.

Unless you are an experienced mechanic, welder and fabricator your best bet is to restore the car stock and enjoy it within its limitations which are not all that severe if everything is working right. If that is not good enough buy a newer car that has disc brakes, V8, air etc and be happy.

• Like 2