Cruising speeds

trfindley

trfindley:

From your questions I am assuming you are referring to the 1937 models since that is the year Packard named its 6-cylinder car the 115.  In later years it was called the Packard 6.

You have to remember that when these cars were built there were no freeways or Interstate highways in the U.S.  High speeds in these cars were probably reached on rural or desert roads.  That being said, my 1937 120 with its overhauled engine seems happy driving at about 60 mph.  It will go a lot faster but that is the speed it seems to just hum along.  I have heard that the 1937 115s seem happy at around 55 mph but have no first-hand experience with them.  Another reason I keep mine at around 60 mph is because some of its parts are old and I want to preserve them as long as I can.  Stressing the engine could cause problems in the long run.

That's my input.  I am sure others will have different opinions.

Thanks for your replies. They are reminders that the speed limit in PA used to be 50 MPH, and that was on paved roads. Prewar cars didn't have anywhere to go over that speed, so the cars were made to cruise on the available ones. I hope to move to the country in NW GA, where the speed limits are 45 mph, so either car has enough power to keep up with traffic. I would use the Avanti or TR6 to go on the Interstates.

TomF.

I had a 1941 "120" for many decades bout it in the early 1970s as an everyday driver as I believe at that time any vehicle in order to be eligible for AACA events had to be 35 years old or older. So in the non winter months when there was no salt on the roads nor ice nor snow I commuted every day 80 miles round trip to work in it. this was ca. 1972. I had a factory overdrive fitted and it liked that a lot better but I still kept top   speed to about 60. Did this for a year and also had it on a trip to Bill's Junkyard in Rhode Island and to Hershey a few years later after it was restored cosmetically. Car went along well, eventually Jim Cox of Sussex Motor and Coachwork rebuilt the car mechanically for me. It was a Hercules bodied wood station wagon.