1931 Chrysler CM6 Tail Light - Correct Light?

1931Chry

Good Morning from Colorado!

I have a few questions as it relates to tail lights:
I'm looking for more information on a 1931 Chrysler CM6 Tail Light. Can anyone take a few pictures of a correct tail light for the late series 1931 Chrysler CM6 Models? Are there any distinguishing markings, stamps, labels, distinct lenses, etc. that I would be able to tell a correct light from an incorrect light?

Additionally, can anyone tell me what kind of light I currently have on the back of my car? See the pictures. It's stamped with 'Chrysler' on the top of the 'bucket', and has an embossed 'Chrysler' symbol on the bezel. My best guess is a Chrysler Imperial, judging from some eBay listings I have seen, but I know we all know how inaccurate they can be. Maybe this was an option for 1931 as an upgrade part (this is my hope, but i'm not holding my breath)? Either way I haven't been able to find much on this 3 light style tail light. Anybody have additional information on whats on my car?

If I find that the tail light I currently have on the car is not correct, then I'll be on the hunt for the right one! If anyone has leads, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your help! 

1931Chry

IMG_0884.JPG

DSC01429Edit.jpg

DSC01436Edit.jpg

IMG_0875Edit.jpg

Thanks keiser31 for helping out and starting the conversation!
The bezel on my car currently doesn't quite look correct for the 1928 Imperial 80 series. The Imperial 80 (from google images) looks to be a true oval, where the one I have on my car currently has some embellishments on the 'corners' of the oval. Maybe some more research, but I think we are close.

What tipped me off that my current tail light may not be correct, is that the stanchion (as you mention being correct) doesn't quite meet the bucket of the tail light as seamlessly as I think it should. I know the designers back then were pretty particular about the lines and matching everything up.

Any additional information on the bucket, lens, 'door' or confirmation that it would have been stamped 'FILITE' on the bucket? Did the lens say 'stop' or anything? did the 'door' have that inset as shown in your picture?

Don't know why my grandfather would have changed the tail light on the car... but here I am trying to piece together a history of the car, and piece together a 'period correct' / 'factory original' restoration in his namesake, and for the car's 100 year anniversary in 2031. A tail light looks like it is on my shopping list...

What kind of pics you looking for? I, of course, have many!

1931Chry

1 hour ago, 1931Chry said:

Would any Dodge cars of the same era have the 'correct' taillight?

The short answer is "probably". The long answer is that there are three part numbers for the tail lamp assembly for DH (1931), one of which was for a chrome body. There are four numbers for DL and DK 1932 assemblies: left and right with and without illium glass. 

If we look at the lamp "door assembly", there were two: DA, DD, DE, DC was one, the other was DH, DI, DJ, DG. The "lamp door shell" was the same for DA, DD, DE, DF, DC, DH, DI, DJ, DG, DM, which means they are all the same diameter. The license plate lens was the same too, which means the lamp body is the same size and shape. The differently door assembly number probably relates to the way the lens was held in and gasketed to the lamp door (we might call that the bezel).

There was one lens part number for later DE, DF, DC and DH, DI, DJ, DG, DM (1932) and a different lens part number for DA, DD, DC (early). DL & DK had another.

So what all this means is that the basic lamp was the same or very similar on the outside perhaps, but there were internal differences. Some lenses may have had DODGE cast into them. You would need to look at part numbers to be sure.

As @keiser31 says, they should have FILITE stamped into the top of the body. Some Dodge 8s had it in smaller letters than others. There are also similar lights without FILITE stamped into them - for light trucks of the time perhaps? Repro's don't have that in them either.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks @Spinneyhill! That was a lot of information, and really helps out! 

I know Chrysler's and Dodge's could share a lot of similar parts, or exchange parts easily. From what I read in your post, the FILITE brand should be stamped into the top of the bucket/body of the tail light for the 1931 Chrysler CM6 Line. Where would the part numbers be on any of these parts? In my experience in the headlights, only the lens (glass) had a part number listed in its casting. Does the same run true for the tail lights? I Understand that some lenses may have had 'DODGE' cast into them, I'm assuming the same was NOT true about Chrysler since it was too long? Do we know if there was any script for the 1931 Chrysler New Series 6 in the tail light lens? And to just confirm my original question, @Spinneyhill or others: A 1931 or 1932 Dodge Tail Light assembly (minus the lens / glass) would be nearly identical (potentially only internal changes) to the 1931 Chrysler CM6 tail lights? If so, it will help open up my search opportunities!

Thanks all for your help!

The picture Kaiser has uploaded shows the correct design, but note the earlier Chrysler tail lights are bigger and are stamped "chrysler A" or "Chrysler B". Perhaps someone could advise the correct diameter, from memory I think they are about 3inch diameter ?

Viv.

Just now, Spinneyhill said:

To be absolutely sure, some part number comparisons would be necessary.

There are no part numbers on these items that I am aware of. You will need to go by size and appearance.

Thanks for the response and the help @keiser31,  @Spinneyhill and @viv w!

Leads back to my original question: Looking for pictures / information for a 1931 Chrysler CM6 Tail Lamp / Light assembly. Exterior and Internal pictures would be appreciated to make sure that I can locate the correct part! And of course, any leads anyone may have on a correct assembly!

13 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

If I recall right the Chrysler light is about an inch larger than the Dodge and Plymouth lights

The CM6 has the same diameter bucket as the Dodge DH6, 1931 Plymouth PA and the 1931 DeSoto SA6. The larger 1931 Chryslers have a larger bucket.

Both wrong! I have one to maybe four taillights every year., BUT Bob My brother from Colorado Specializes in taillights for over 35 years He Has Display after Display of Taillights under his tent canopy on the end of our 10 spots, and he has five of my dads Original spots and I have five spaces all total 10.  CH74-CH83 CHOCOLATE FIELD SOUTH CLOSE TO POLE 56

CHEERS!!!!! ?

Also a little info on the FILITE the Black bucket with chrome bezel beehive is correct for 1928-1931 Plymouth's the 1932 Plymouth PB used a All chrome FILITE and bezel same size throughout on the Plymouths, At Least thats what my 29 has and the 32 PB roadster has chromed filite.  I know Durant used one similiar but not sure if that was a FILITE ?  If no one has the light you all seek,  I think I may have one packed for Hershey and probably for sure my brother has at our spots. One last thing 1931Chry  I noticed on Picture #1 of your CM6 the exterior door handle is Incorrect on your car you have a 1928 ESSEX which looks like the 1931 Plymouth PA in handle design but yours has the 2 or 3 little ribs on the escutcheon making it a Essex handle. If you like I can post a print of the Correct CM6  handle. Just fyi

Here is what I beleive  1931chry ,  has on his door on top of this post in his car picture 1: 1928 Hudson Essex Could be a 1931 Plymouth but the escutcheon on his car looks like the hudson essex.  A 1931 Plymouth PA in my picture 2: And what a 1931 Chrysler CM6 should have on his car in Pic 3. Not trying to pop bubbles just advise of what I see,Good Luck in your endeavors.

Rich

thehandleman@comcast.net

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_2772 (1).JPG

IMG_2773 (1).JPG

No, can't make it this year. Wish I could! I know it would be a great resource to find my tail light, and, as usual, about a hundred other different things I wouldn't need! So maybe it's better I can't get out there this year?! Haha!

Thanks for your help @thehandleman!  Does your brother have a storefront in Colorado? Or some contact information?

Continued search for information here: Just want to confirm that there would be a singular, 2 filament bulb in the taillight, correct? This means that when pressing the brake, the beehive lens, the stop lens and the license plate lens would all simultaneously light up (or get brighter if the running lights were on) correct?