Sign in to follow this  
ng8264723

I cannot find my 1939 VIN!!! The little firewall plate is gone. The frame does not look stamped

The frame is near mint.  The radiator is out.  There is no rust but I cannot find the vin!.  I was told it is on the front crossmember.  I do not see any numbers.  I also have a parts car with a missing front clip. I cannot find the VIN on that one either PLEASE HELP

Where it is for later Pontiacs is on top of the frame rail, take a mirror and where ever you can use the mirror to see the top of the rail, look for the vin.

I cannot find my 1939 VIN!!! The little firewall plate is gone. The frame does not look stamped

If its like a '39 Buick & other GM cars of that era the firewall data plate will not have the chassis/frame number.  The firewall plate does have the body number, but that is not the same as the chassis/frame number.

Cars of that time did not have VIN's as we know them today:--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

What number is on the title?

I looked at my 39 cv't today.  The number is on a tag (aluminum/galv.) riveted to the frame crossmember, directly below and a little in front of the generator.  The rivets are rather substantial.  Tag is maybe 3" long.  Should be something like P6EBXXXXX.  Mine is a 6 cyl. thus P6.  My title has the number also, so maybe you could get reproduced from that?DSC04277.thumb.JPG.c52a2c0107220ce60a03f5fad70136e2.JPG