Seat Belt Retractor Covers

Garysriv

Not surprisingly my front belt retractor covers are busted up so I got replacements from the Parts Place.  Nice pieces.

I did something a little different to get the belts through them though.  I dremeled a slot on the opposite side of where the retracted belt rests, pulled the belt through, then used sandals epoxy to fill the slot.  So far so good.

0909181243.jpg

0909181713.jpg

• Like 1

Gary, why notch out the covers? The retractor mechanism  can be separated from the seat belt in a couple of minutes, allowing you to pull the

belt out of the slot of the old cover, thread the belt through the new cover and reassemble the retractor drum. Easy Peasy.

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

Gary, why notch out the covers? The retractor mechanism  can be separated from the seat belt in a couple of minutes, allowing you to pull the

belt out of the slot of the old cover, thread the belt through the new cover and reassemble the retractor drum. Easy Peasy.

My impression was stitching needed to be undone and restitched, maybe I'm wrong, but being a safety item I didn't want to do that.  Anyway, installed and can't tell!

0910181810.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

The looped web at the male latch does not pass thru unassembled. Otherwise it would retract into the housing.

Bust out the saddle needle if you don’t want to notch the plastic.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The belt can be removed from the retractor mechanism  and pulled out  of the slot. I've done this on many 60's GM seat belts

on my own cars and on cars I was restoring for someone else. I haven't done a 65 Riviera belt but it should be the same.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2018 at 2:28 PM, Garysriv said:

Not surprisingly my front belt retractor covers are busted up so I got replacements from the Parts Place.

Your project came out nice. Good job. 

My driver side cover is busted up too. I tried the Parts Place site & cant find the covers. Can u pls post a parts number

thx in advance 

edit:

I couldn’t find it under “Buick Full Size”. But I found these under “Skylark/GS/Regal/GN”

I think these are the ones 

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/1965/1965-skylark-gs-regal-gn-br-seat-belt-retractor-covers-rcf-300-black-only-pr/33302

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

Good thread…ordered mine…come as a pair…two different shades of black…oh well, I only needed driver side anyway. 

I was gonna Gary’s method. The i remembered Winston’s comment about taking retractor apart. So I thought I would try that. Luckily, it worked out.

Thx guys

ED124AB1-4FB6-45D6-8402-15F5DA97715D.thumb.jpeg.31fe9874321de07575e76b0ae1869981.jpeg

A8AE8148-5C44-43D8-AA93-91531A7F2BAA.thumb.jpeg.ce30012f6a923147dd8f6ecea48f83c3.jpeg

Sorry I didn't get back to you on the p/n, hevent been on in awhile.

• Like 1