Sticky Blue Grease in transmission/Transaxle 1908 Thomas Flyer

CatBird

Recently acquired 1908 Thomas Flyer from the Wolfgang Gawor collection. It is in fantastic condition. Frame-off restoration and very well done. It has not bee toured, nor even driven very much since restored if any. So we are sorting it out.

The transmission/Transaxle gears are very well-coated with a sticky blue grease. Much thicker than 600w, but thinner than wheel bearing grease. Most transmissions I know have 6oow in it. There seems to be any pooling in the pan. I am mystified and do not know if I should add 600w or what?

I believe some of these really early cars used a lubricant much heavier than the "600W" (SAE250 or so) lubricants currently sold for Model A Fords.

In the late 1970s, the HCCA Gazette published a recipe for mixing your own, as a substitute was not readily available. The ingredients included the heaviest available gear oil, old fashioned long-fiber wheel bearing grease (already hard to find in 1978), and PowerPunch or something similar. That is by no means a complete list. There were other ingredients in the glop. I have no idea what.

Today we would call it semi-fluid grease. Perhaps others can elaborate.

Remember to use a grease or oil that is compatible with brass. EP additives which contain phosphorus/sulfur compounds are corrosive to yellow metals such as the copper and/or brass used in bushings  the GL-1 class of gear oils does not contain any EP additives and thus finds use in applications which contain parts made of yellow metals.

Maybe it leaked even heavy gear oil like a sieve and the last guy shot it full of grease. Valvoline and several others make a sticky blue grease that comes in tubes for grease guns.

14 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

This is actually compatible to be used with yellow metals. 

I am picking up some steam oil tomorrow. I know about the wrong oil can attack bronze in a transmission or rear end.

Here is a picture of our transmission. The Thomas Flyer seems to have one of the finest restorations I have ever seen. It would seem they made sure the transmission would not leak. However, I am about the first people to drive it, though the Auction House did drive it onto the block and on a trailer.

I am wondering if I should clean this blue stuff out, or add in the steam oil, or is it ok as it is. The sump and drive chain oilers are properly filled with, as best I can tell, the proper oil. Wolfgang Gawor died before the restoration was finished. The Auction is refusing me to have contact information with Wolfgang's Estate, nor the restoration house that finished the restoration.

I am in touch with Jeff Mahl, great-grandson of George Schuster, the original driver with the Thomas in the Great Race of 1908.

I was able to open the transmission cover a little, and also showing a  few pictures of the car.

IMG_1266 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_1260 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_1259 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_1258 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_5948 (Medium).jpeg

Edited by CatBird (see edit history)

I have been using OO grease in my brass cars transmissions and rear ends.    Google OO  grease.    that is OhOh rather than ZeroZero.

It is pourable grease.  Very sticky.     I have used maybe 20 gallons over the last half dozen years.   I have used different brands. All are more greenish hue.

Very good stuff.   

• Like 1