1940 Resto Rod Buick Special Tourning Sedan

• 2 months later...

Gary, I think your project is fascinating.

Are you considering engine-turning on the metal dash bezels, as would be original to a '40 Buick dash?  Doug Seybold does these in Ohio; it would look awesome juxtaposed against the Dakota instruments!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 2:16 PM, SBRMD said:

Gary, I think your project is fascinating.

Are you considering engine-turning on the metal dash bezels, as would be original to a '40 Buick dash?  Doug Seybold does these in Ohio; it would look awesome juxtaposed against the Dakota instruments!

Thank you , I'll check him out. I would like to have them engine-turned. Right now they are powder coated.

Edited by Gary Best (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Gary Best said:

Thank you , I'll check him out. I would like to have them engine-turned. Right now they are powder coated.

Be carefull when you choose someone to engine turn. There are some out there doing them with alignment of the swirls vertically and horizontal. When they are done with correct alignment one can see an angular alignment, which is how the factory aligned them. Study samples carefully, prices range to above 1,000.oo correct or not. Make em prove their claims as they will claim theirs is correct cuz they are the expert. Buyer beware, you cant get your money back!

• 3 months later...

Buick fire up on first turn over. Fitech FI is almost too simple. Very easy to set up and runs great. Using Evens  waterless coolant which works like they said it would.  Only problem so far is gas gauge works backwards lol . 

Buick start up.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 1940Super said:

The tyres are about 20-25 years old. Tread barely worn. Should I be worried about the rubber deteriorating?

Is it possible to hide tyre weights under the metal trim? 

Never drive on tires older that 12 year old max. Always check for dry rot , rubber starts deteriorating just setting.  I learned the hard way.

I've read some articles that say you should replace tires after their six years old.  A lot of that depends on where you live and how the environment in your area will affect tires.  Lots of good reading out there.  Take some time and educate yourself.  You know where you live and the conditions of where the tires are - exposed to UV rays and drastic temperature changes or on your car in a hermetically sealed garage.  Don't depend on some guy who lives on the other side of the country to tell you about your tires, figure it out for yourself.

I have a bunch of old pencils from when I taught.  They're still in the original boxes and in a drawer.  But don't expect to take one out and use the eraser.  The rubber will crumble in a heart beat.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks for the video of the first run Gary.  It's sure looking great.  Tell me more about the waterless coolant.  I'm not familiar with it.  I found their home page and can get their side of the story, but what is your experience with it?

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Evans waterless coolant is the way to go on a fresh build. Very high boiling point so no need to pressurize the system ( less leaks blown hoses ect ). No rust ever , never needs changed last forever . Much better heat transfer for better cooling ( #7 & 8 on a Buick straight 8 will like that ) . Cost is just a little more if you start with a total dry system . If you convert from regular coolant the cost can get high as you need to purge all water from system.  Must make sure no one ever adds water or your in trouble lol . Evans does what they claim. I wish I had known about Evans when I built my Chevelle and Opel . As these cars set for long periods of time I would have saved money in long run ( new radiator for Opel and hose's for Chevelle )

The Rod shop that did my frame and engine highly recommended Evans. They also recommended Dot 5 Brake fluid for new brake system also as they never absorb moisture. . Hope your project is moving along well. Take care 

Thanks for the heads up.

My project is moving along and will hopefully be in paint and with engine this fall.  I'm driving up in three weeks to deliver additional parts; NOS right rear fender, original fender skirts, replated bumpers, an original wheel with my choice of color and the pinstripe pattern, and "stuff".  I'm about to send some stuff off for re-plating (there goes my retirement!).  No current pics, but should have some in a month.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...