Upholstery work in the Pennsylvania/Virginia/Maryland east coast are

trimacar

I'm slowly getting out of the trimming business, and there are people constantly asking me for recommendations for excellent trimmers on the east coast.

Could someone give me good references for trimmers in the Pennsylvania/Maryland/Virginia area?  Shops that do excellent work on open and closed cars, pre WWII.  Preferably ones that don't use foam, but I know one can't ask for everything.

I hesitate to suggest anyone, since it's not only hard to find good trimmers, but even harder to find trimmers that will do things correctly.  But, surely some of you have good experiences and can make recommendations (and, yes, I've watched Airplane, so don't call me Shirley!)....

Thanks David C.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trimacar said:

Well, I'm looking at a knee replacement in January, it's hell getting old, but at least I am......so work load will have to regress....

How are your hands and eyes? My best friend was a trim guy and had retired from it about 5 years ago, his hands were shot from all of the pulling and stretching, and his eyes were failing also from all the close detail work. It is a very physical trade, most people don't realize it. He did some real nice work, shame he just could not do it anymore

Dave, no idea for an answer to your question but in regards to the knee replacement, don’t sweat it. If the doc offers a machine to work the flexing of the knee take it, use it three times a day if the doc says do it twice a day. Work thru the pain. I played football thru college and I’m 72. Seven knee operations. Before they had arthroscopic and with it. The last was a replacement 3 years ago. Exercise and a willingness to ignore the pain makes the recovery faster. I was up walking the next day, they wouldn’t let me get up the day of the operation due to the incision being along the dotted lines of previous cuts. It will hurt a lot less the quicker you get it to flex more. If you are carrying a few extra pounds work them off before the operation if at all possible. It will help with the recovery. Just try to do as much as possible as fast as you can without hurting yourself. Good luck. Have fun

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Chris Petersheim, Sr., 1962 Mine Rd., Paradise, PA 17562. (610) 593-1375.  Chris is an Amishman, so don't expect instant communication.  Call that number and leave a message; he'll call you back.  A number of us brass car nuts use him.  Good man, good work, reasonable prices.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

22 hours ago, John348 said:

How are your hands and eyes? My best friend was a trim guy and had retired from it about 5 years ago, his hands were shot from all of the pulling and stretching, and his eyes were failing also from all the close detail work. It is a very physical trade, most people don't realize it. He did some real nice work, shame he just could not do it anymore

Hands and eyes are fine, just my knees giving out.  You have to understand that trimming hasn't been my main occupation during my life, I started as a hobby to do my own cars, did it professionally for two years at a restoration shop, but most of my career was as an engineer.  I retired from engineering career 6 years ago, did upholstery just to keep in touch with people.

Yes, I could agree it's somewhat physical, lots of detail work.  The thing is, I don't need to do it to put beans on the table, and I've started telling people (some with very nice projects) "no"....as I realize my time is limited and I don't need to sell it to someone else...