Spare Tire Cover - precise Year & Model

drwatson

It should'nt be this hard for me to figure exact year & model Chev, but the pictured cover was returned to me by a buyer because "it did not fit" his 17" wheel. 

The covers inside diameter is 28-1/2". A 17" wheel is just barely too large at a 29" diam. Most mid 30's Chev passenger cars used 17" wheels up to 1936 . After reviewing Chev parts books online I see 1936 Chevs with knee action had 17" wheels while non-knee actions had 15" wheels. So perhaps my cover is for a 1936 Chevrolet Master DeLuxe coupe or cabriolet without knee-action? I'm looking for confirmation..Thank you.  Hub cap opening is precisely 7".

chev1.JPG

chev1a.JPG

chev2.JPG

chev2a.JPG

• Like 1

I have a 1933 Master and am not familiar with the exact info on the later covers, but your cover may have been correct for the guy you sold it to.  

Some of the new tires are larger then older tires marked the same size.  This tire cover vs tire issue has been discussed in the 1933 - 36 Chevrolet section of the VCCA forum.  

Comparing the 525/550-18 tire made in the 1970s for my 1933, most of the tires marked as the same size made today are significant difference in the tire cross section.  When I replace my tires I went with a Lucas Olympic black wall since the data showed they were slightly smaller in both outer diameter and cross section and the spare fit under my tire cover.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

for a 1936  Standard ...  I have parts of three different spare tire covers i have collected over the past ten years in pursuit of the suitcase latches and good chrome and SS rings..  I do not plan to keep all these spare parts. I would like to sell them to someone who needs them for a project. I doubt these are all or any of them are for a 36; but close. I live near Sacramento so shipping might be expensive . Any interest ?  Herb    510 928 1810 

IMG_3905.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

Car Collection _017.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Chevy Spare Tire Cover, apparently larger than those previously shown,

Fair condition

Exterior Diameter +/- 29-3/4"

Hopefully someone can use this.

I could bring to

Glidden Tour, Rock Hill, SC Sept 22-27, 2019

Hershey, October 9-12

Mobile, Alabama AACA Show Oct 23-26

CHEVY SPARE TIRE COVER 1.jpg

CHEVY SPARE TIRE COVER 4.jpg

CHEVY SPARE TIRE COVER 3.jpg

CHEVY SPARE TIRE COVER 2.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

drwatson, I'm pretty sure your cover is for a 34 Master although it does not have the SS trim ring on the front, (not sure all of them did). Many guys claim they don't fit as the newer tires are larger as stated previously. I have them on all my cars and the Spares are not fully inflated and they fit perfect. I suggested that to a guy and he scolded me for (Who wants a flat spare?). I've never had my spares on the ground. You need the back piece to make it complete, it's not worth much without it.

Marty

Yours looks like it could be for a 1933 Master.  The 33 master is shaped exactly like your photos to include the holes several inches in from the outer diameter for the aluminum trim ring clips.  There should also be a stainless steel ring approximately 1 inch wide around the outer diameter.  29 3/4 is correct for the diameter for a 1933 Master.  I am not positive, but I believe the 1932 Chevrolet also used the same spare cover as the 33.

I cannot tell from the photo.  Is the diameter of hole in the center for the hubcap 6 inches ?

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

On 1/23/2020 at 5:50 PM, Vila said:

Marty

Yours looks like it could be for a 1933 Master.  The 33 master is shaped exactly like your photos to include the holes several inches in from the outer diameter for the aluminum trim ring clips.  There should also be a stainless steel ring approximately 1 inch wide around the outer diameter.  29 3/4 is correct for the diameter for a 1933 Master.  I am not positive, but I believe the 1932 Chevrolet also used the same spare cover as the 33.

I cannot tell from the photo.  Is the diameter of hole in the center for the hubcap 6 inches ?

Vila, 

Thank you-

The center hole appears to be 5 inches - not 6 inches

On 8/21/2019 at 6:43 PM, Marty Roth said:

I have a Chevy Spare Tire Cover, apparently larger than those previously shown,

Fair condition

Exterior Diameter +/- 29-3/4"

Center Hubcap Hole appears to be 5 inches

The prior noted events having been in the past,

I could bring this o the AACA Nationals at Miami in February

Hopefully someone can use this. 

I could bring to

Glidden Tour, Rock Hill, SC Sept 22-27, 2019

Hershey, October 9-12

Mobile, Alabama AACA Show Oct 23-26

CHEVY SPARE TIRE COVER 1.jpg

CHEVY SPARE TIRE COVER 4.jpg

CHEVY SPARE TIRE COVER 3.jpg

CHEVY SPARE TIRE COVER 2.jpg

Marty

Vila, 

Thank you-

The center hole appears to be 5 inches - not 6 inches

I can recheck any dimensions if anyone is interested -

please PM me for any additional info