'62 Starfire ign key off constant power draw question

Starfire62

'62 Starfire constant power draw question - draw is in multiple circuits like the pw/ps relay,

wipers, etc.   These circuits that would normally need the key to be in key-on ign position to right

are receiving current with the key off.  I do know that the PO replaced the ignition switch, so my

question is would anyone know exactly which terminal on switch or what color wire should be

without power until key is turned to the ign position?  The car runs fine as is and the battery doesn't

go dead, but it sure would be nice to not be energizing relays like the pw/ps when battery is connected.

Thanks all.

Are you sure it's not just that the relay has gone bad and is stuck on? I've had this happen.

In any case, the power relay that operates these power accessories uses a white trigger wire from the fuse box.  This wire (and associated fuse) ultimately get power from the green ACC wire from the ignition switch. Note that MOST of the fuses are powered by this same wire, so if it is hot with the ignition OFF, you have a lot of circuits that are getting powered.  This is very easy to test - do you get power to the wiper fuse with the key OFF? If not the ignition switch wiring is not your problem.

Do the power windows actually work with the key OFF?

Yes, there is current at wiper fuse with key off, and I can operate the power windows

with the ignition key off also.  The battery does not go dead, so I suspect the relay

that is being energized doesn't use much juice.  Other circuits like you said, Joe,

are also probably on but I haven't tested for that.   What do you think the PO did

when they replaced the ignition switch, or maybe that isn't the issue at all?

Thanks for any input. 

13 minutes ago, Starfire62 said:

Yes, there is current at wiper fuse with key off, and I can operate the power windows with the ignition key off also.

Yup, sounds like someone really hosed up the wiring. Apparently that wire to the fuse box that is supposed to be switched is somehow connected to power full time. Either the switch is mis-wired or the internal contacts are shorted. Might be a good time to get a correct switch and fix the wiring.