1936 Chrysler Airstream Convertible Sedan Value/Rarity?

Irontrap

Hi I am looking for some rough idea if value and rarity as I’m having trouble finding information on these cars. I am looking to buy a collection of cars and parts and included is a really neat barn find 36 airstream convertible sedan.  The car appears to be in really good shape for being parked for so many years. It seems all original and wears its original paint from what I can tell. The top irons are there but the material is gone. The skirts, taillights and most special parts are there minus one hood vent trim. The transmission went bad in the car many years ago and was removed and never replaced so it is without a trans but otherwise complete. There is no major rot I can see and overall it’s in remarkable condition for sitting since the 1950’s. 

I was curious how rare / low production numbers these cars are and what a rough value would be for something like this. I’ve seen similar sedans and coupes sell but this seems a bit of a rare bird and I feel like those values may not same as this car. Does anyone recall one of these unrestored selling in recent history?

Thanks in Advance! 

-Matt

FE39E5FA-0DD2-4971-AFA2-B82AB9E58758.jpeg

Edited by Irontrap (see edit history)

These are neat cars.  I had a 36 Airstream Convertible Coupe four or 5  years ago. When I had mine I did some research finding parts and even found a couple of these convertible sedans for Sale.  One was turn key presentable but not "restored although decent looking driver.  They were asking I think around 28,000.    To get a better idea we probably need more photos.    Not running doesn't help without the tranny makes it DOA so it needs everything mechanically.  An early guesstimate without any other photos if it is pretty rust free including the floors I would say 10 to 12G at best.  Do you have paperwork on it?  No registration or title will quite possibly limit the number of parties interested if you are looking to sell it.  I think I paid upper teens for mine with fairly presentable paint and upholstery with alot of the chrome having been replated or presentable original.   I rebuilt the engine,  put new exhaust, brakes, tires and went through everything mechanically to make it a good driver.   

I think for production there was around 200 something of yours made. in the 6 and another 200 in the 8.  Is it a 6 or an 8?  Mine was a 6. I have seen pretty nicely restored ones in the 50 G or so range realizing it will take probably more than that to restore this car.  Though not common they do come on the market occassionally.  

post-43003-143142747382.jpg

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

These are neat cars.  I had a 36 Airstream Convertible Coupe four or 5  years ago. When I had mine I did some research finding parts and even found a couple of these convertible sedans for Sale.  One was turn key presentable but not "restored although decent looking driver.  They were asking I think around 28,000.    To get a better idea we probably need more photos.    Not running doesn't help without the tranny makes it DOA so it needs everything mechanically.  An early guesstimate without any other photos if it is pretty rust free including the floors I would say 10 to 12G at best.  Do you have paperwork on it?  No registration or title will quite possibly limit the number of parties interested if you are looking to sell it.  I think I paid upper teens for mine with fairly presentable paint and upholstery with alot of the chrome having been replated or presentable original.   I rebuilt the engine,  put new exhaust, brakes, tires and went through everything mechanically to make it a good driver.   

I think for production there was around 200 something of yours made. in the 6 and another 200 in the 8.  Is it a 6 or an 8?  Mine was a 6. I have seen pretty nicely restored ones in the 50 G or so range realizing it will take probably more than that to restore this car.  Though not common they do come on the market occassionally.  

Thanks for the input. The car does have a valid title. If I could find a transmission I'd be tempted to make it drivable as-is and just enjoy. I agree it would be financial suicide to pay someone to restore this fully, but it does have the allure of being a survivor as it sits. How rare are the transmissions for these cars? Is it a 36-only deal, or could I maybe find one from a larger range of years? Anyone I can be forwarded to that would have one available?

Thanks for the information thus far, I'm an Early Ford guy historically, but I can fall in love with anything from this era! 

-Matt

They are great looking cars.  I would actually go teh route you are thinking and just get it up and going.  You need to find out if the car had an OD tranny or regular 3 speed.  The rearends are different and you will want to put the OD tranny in if it was one.  Both versions are available.  With the regular one running probably 500 or less and an OD unit being a little pricier at 1000 to 1500 because everyone wants an OD.   Get me some more photos.  Is it an 8 or a 6? 

Thanks for all of the replies. The car is an 8 and is fairly complete overall. Most of the hard to find/airstream specific parts seem to be there including the banjo steering wheel, tail lights, horn covers, dash, top irons, side hood trim, etc etc. It is pretty incredible the car is so solid underneath. It was parked since 1951-1952 in the back corner of an old garage. Only some minor rust  in very lower corners as expected, but no major damage. I'll try and snap some additional pictures this week. I dug it out and got it home over the weekend. 

IMG_0373.JPG

Edited by Irontrap (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Smart move.  If you didn't have to pay alot, you can always decide what route to go next. Getting it up and running would be the quickest way to enjoying it. Mine looked pretty needy when I got it,  but ti's amazing once you clean things up how good some stuff is.  Parts do pop up for these on ebay.  Surprisingly more often than they do for my 47 Hudson.  But they aren't real common.

The 8 is also an easier engine to get parts for as the 6 was a 3 year engine and only two years in the Chrysler with 3 starting in 34 on the Desoto.  Does it have OD? A couple ways to tell would be the OD Cable or lever under the dash or the emergency brake is on the rearend I believe of the OD cars and on the transmission of the standard 3 speed cars. 

Hi Guys

i purchased a very nice 1936 Chrysler airstream convertible sedan about 4 years ago, ( from the USA) i paid $60k usa dollars and then did work on the brakes, water pump, fuel pump, rebuilt the gear box and many other small things.

My car has just completed a 3000  mile rally without any problems.

I also own a 1936 4 door twin side mount sedan right hand drive; and a 1936 C8 convertible coupe

they only made about 497  4 door convertible sedans ( 6 cylinder) and only 240 straight 8 convertible coupes

All three cars have factory overdrive, one has the factory radio, two have the deluxe steering wheel

cars with overdrive have the speedo with 3 sets of numbers, and the hand brake on the rear wheels

2018-03-31 12.23.58.jpg

2017-01-19 19.02.10.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more on the car. Below is the video of the car being pulled out. Also a picture with the top down after cleaning the junk out of the inside. I am offering the car for sale as I really don't have the space to restore it right now with a garage full of projects. I'd love to see this be restored to it's former beauty!! I will be bringing it to the Fall Hershey meet if it doesn't sell before that. 

42223280_10156841492673000_4517558945392361472_n.thumb.jpg.6c819efdcdf851a39f6e251f0ed9eb9e.jpg

Here is the video of pulling the car out:

On 9/10/2018 at 4:05 PM, auburnseeker said:

The 8 is also an easier engine to get parts for as the 6 was a 3 year engine and only two years in the Chrysler with 3 starting in 34 on the Desoto.  Does it have OD? A couple ways to tell would be the OD Cable or lever under the dash or the emergency brake is on the rearend I believe of the OD cars and on the transmission of the standard 3 speed cars. 

Sorry, but the 1936 six engine was a one year only engine.   That's why its so hard to get parts for... 34, and 35 had no water jacket around the cylinders, along with several other changes.

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Lots of parts in the parts books interchange from 34-36 Desoto and 35 to 36 Chrysler.  One of which is the head gasket.  I had a nice big stack of them sealed in the Mopar packages but few takers because of the limited application. 

Yes the head gasket, and block length are the same, 24 5/8",  for 34-36.  Old gaskets are not a good idea.  Even the copper head gaskets had,

(I think asbestos) in side of them, which over the year dries and fail apart. 

Storage condition make this difference whether NOS parts are any good.  Stuff stored in a slightly damp garage out of the sun for gaskets and rubber is ideal and usually are just like new.  Chrome and raw steel stored in a dry attic is perfect.  Either in the other conditions and the parts are generally ruined.  Mine had been stored in the parts department, bottom floor of an old cement building in the Humidity of NY state so they were in great shape.  Wholesaled all that crap off though as no one wanted them and they were a pain to ship for a $20 sale.  Pretty much wholesaled 95 percent of my parts and should have kept going until I was under 1 Percent.