1968 Riviera for sale in Des Moines - one owner.

kreed

I was contacted last week by a wonderful 95 year old gentleman who is thinking about selling his 1968 Riviera which he brought brand new here in Des Moines. The car is completely original and looks like it came out of a time capsule . The car is olive gold metallic (code S2 ) with a light beige vinyl top and buckskin interior ( code 683) . It has 36,000 miles . The paint is 6-7/10 and looks like it's 50 years old but the car was always garaged and never driven in the rain according to him . I think it would buff out pretty nice though . The vinyl top looks very good and I see No rust at all in the usual suspect places . The engine compartment is totally  original and has had no rattle can touch up but  could use some detailing .. AC works according to owner . He proudly put wide white walls on it recently ( and mud flaps !?  could easily be removed ) . He feels he is getting to old to drive and doesn't want his daughter to be burdened with it when he passes as she has no interest in it at all . As many of you know, I have been looking for a 68 GS with buckets so this car is not of major interest to me ( although I must say it is tempting given its one owner , low mileage originality) . This car is the real deal for the right person. He is asking $27,500 but suspect there may a little wiggle room particularly after the car season is over this Fall . If anyone is interested , let me know and I will get you hooked up with them . 

Kreed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kreed said:

I was contacted last week by a wonderful 95 year old gentleman who is thinking about selling his 1968 Riviera which he brought brand new here in Des Moines. The car is completely original and looks like it came out of a time capsule . The car is olive gold metallic (code S2 ) with a light beige vinyl top and buckskin interior ( code 683) . It has 36,000 miles . The paint is 6-7/10 and looks like it's 50 years old but the car was always garaged and never driven in the rain according to him . I think it would buff out pretty nice though . The vinyl top looks very good and I see No rust at all in the usual suspect places . The engine compartment is totally  original and has had no rattle can touch up but  could use some detailing .. AC works according to owner . He proudly put wide white walls on it recently ( and mud flaps !?  could easily be removed ) . He feels he is getting to old to drive and doesn't want his daughter to be burdened with it when he passes as she has no interest in it at all . As many of you know, I have been looking for a 68 GS with buckets so this car is not of major interest to me ( although I must say it is tempting given its one owner , low mileage originality) . This car is the real deal for the right person. He is asking $27,500 but suspect there may a little wiggle room particularly after the car season is over this Fall . If anyone is interested , let me know and I will get you hooked up with them . 

Kreed

ROA 14549

Did you look at this car and take these pictures? That is a sweet looking ride. If I didn't already have my 68, I would consider this one, but not at $27K. It appears to have manual windows and an AM radio, also. AC is always a plus. I bet the documentation is to die for! :-). What other options does it have besides the AC, wheel covers and vinyl top?

I always liked those optional wheel covers.  They are classy looking but a PITA to clean.  Plus, they get sand blasted easily so good ones are hard to find.  This car has a deluxe interior which is always more appealing.  Everyone has their own taste but the wide whites would be the first things to go.

Yes I took the pictures last week at the only show he has been able to attend since breaking his hip a couple months ago . Agree the wide whites and mud flaps would be the first to go if it were mine  but as Pat says it's all about personal taste. Here are a couple more pics . Justifiably so, he is very proud of this car ( "those wide whites cost me $200 each!"  ?) . He is a delightful guy and I think would love  to see his car go to some one who would appreciate it as much as he has and might come off the price a little but I have no dog in this hunt and am just trying to help him out . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I always liked those optional wheel covers.  They are classy looking but a PITA to clean.  Plus, they get sand blasted easily so good ones are hard to find.  This car has a deluxe interior which is always more appealing.  Everyone has their own taste but the wide whites would be the first things to go.

I concur!

The deluxe wheel covers must be seen clean and in person to be fully appreciated. They have facets and depth in the sunlight. They can 

be broke down fairly easy for spring cleaning.

Its like looking down the intake of an old fighter jet. 

Sure beats looking at a common set of lug nuts IMO ?

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Those wIde whites make it look like a 'gangsta' car from the 30's !

As Pat stated, to each his or her own. :)

It appears to have the optional chrome breather cover, with a HD air cleaner judging by the snorkel.

There may be others, but it's hard to tell from the photos provided.

The air cleaner is NOT chrome - black all the way and missing the original decal . I Will probably see him this weekend at a local show and plan to get more pictures , particularly of the trunk which I have  never seen .

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed said:

The air cleaner is NOT chrome - black all the way and missing the original decal . I Will probably see him this weekend at a local show and plan to get more pictures , particularly of the trunk which I have  never seen .

KReed

ROA 14549

Did the 68 originally have a decal on the air cleaner? 

11 hours ago, Chimera said:

Did the 68 originally have a decal on the air cleaner? 

I believe the air cleaner did not have a decal in 1968 but not 100% sure.  The "430" on the valve covers is correct.  In 1969, the decal was moved to the air cleaner but no decal on the valve covers even though the recessed area was still stamped into the cover where the decal used to be.

Note the original hose above the A/C compressor!  Originality in spades!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kreed said:

KReed

ROA 14549

. . . from the picture, on my computer, the black cover looked like an '"aged" chrome finish - just the reflection I guess Ken.

Pat is quite correct on the air cleaner, and valve cover stickers. The originals all were blind embossed, and the optional chrome breather cover never had any stickers on it.

Most of the after market repro stickers you see today lack the blind embossing that the original air cleaner, and valve cover stickers had.

The blind embossing process was expensive and much more difficult to replicate.

• Like 1