U-Joint Hardware for 1924 Light Six

Some of the bolts used on the driveshaft "rag joints" are in bad shape on my 1924 Light Six.  I purchased "rubber" replacement joints some time back but the bolts were in bad shape and a few of them were stripped.  I'm looking for replacement/extra (wave?) bolts & washers  as shown in the attached picture.  I'd prefer to go with original parts if available but would like advice on finding new replacements.  Bolts are 2 1/8 inches long (including the head).  Shaft length is 1 3/4 inches.  I'd prefer the bolts be a bit longer as the rubber joints seemed a bit thicker than the cloth joints previously installed.  

Thank you,

Dave

IMG_6482.JPG

Dave,

It is doubtful you will find any NOS parts so the alternative is to look for used parts.  I reused my originals and replaced any badly worn bolts with some that came from a spare driveshaft I had that still had some bolted on rag couplings. The problem I had was most of the used parts were also worn badly so there were only a few good spares.  My suggestion is that you remove all the washers, clean those up and reuse them.  Then purchase new bolts from Restoration Supply Company (RSC) the correct diameter (3/8"), length and fine thread pitch.  You will have to cross drill them for cotter pins. 

As you can see from your original bolt, the hex head is a bit thicker than what you will find at your local hardware and there are no head markings but usually a small center bump which is the result of using a lathe to make the originals.  The replacements from RSC will have the thicker hex height and will have no markings.  I think they also sell the tall castellated nuts.  When installing these you can snug them up but as the rubber compound in the rag joints compresses over time the bolts will lose their compressive tension.  They are really made to drive in shear only and the cotter pin is what keeps them secure. The initial tension on the bolts should just be to keep them from floating around too much (axially), so don't tighten them too much. Normally there are three rag joints on each end of the driveshaft.  If your replacements are a lot thicker you may have to compensate by removing one or two as the distance between the transmission output flange and axle input flange are fixed and your stack up will be too long with extra thick couplings.  Good Luck.

Scott

Hi Scott, thank you for your reply.   Yes, there are three rag joints at each end of the driveshaft.   I replaced the front ones some time back, as they were badly torn. The rubber on the new ones was so thick I can barely get the bolts through, and stripped one of them, as shown in the picture.   I didn't realize the rubber would compress so much over time, which resulted in the loosening of the hardware.  A broken cotter pin and lost nut allowed one bolts to come free and I lost two of those wave washers. I'm replacing the joints again due to wear, and looking to replace those washers and the stripped bolt. Was hoping to find some originals, but will look at reproduction.   I appreciate your suggestion. I didn't know if standard hardware would be frowned upon, but again, am trying to stay orig.  Touring season is right around the corner in the Phoenix area, and I've got to keep the old gal on the road.  Thank you.

Nothing wrong with standard hardware, even worn.  That engine doesn't produce enough torque to shear three worn out bolts unless they are really bad. I replaced my joints with some "new" ones that were probably 40 years old (NOS).  The rubber feel left them years ago but after 1000 miles, they still look pretty good.  I was thinking about buying some material and making some spares last winter but never got around to it, so maybe this winter. My touring season is coming to an end soon.

I think I have a few of the wavy washers laying around.  How many did you need?

Scott

Hi Scott.  I need two, but would take extras if they're just lying about.  I really need a bolt and again, would take extras (sorry, I don't want to sound greedy). We've had this car for a decade and they'll probably have to bury me in it. ?  Am always planning for the future.  But seriously, if you had a few, I'd gladly work with you.  You can email me privately at In2antiques@cox.net.   

Thanks! 

Dave

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG