Did you know?

Ronnie

Did you know that as of today there have been over 203,000 posts made on this forum? That is more than any other Buick forum here on the AACA website. The only other forum on this website that has more posts is the AACA General Discussion forum with 315,923 posts. That is saying a lot considering the small number of Reattas produced and the the fact that a little over 5000 are still registered in the USA.

Did you know that there are more knowledgeable people (some are Reatta experts) that frequent this forum than any other place on the internet? No legitimate questions that are asked about the Reatta go unanswered and most of the time you will receive advice that will solve your Reatta problems. There are people on this forum who will give you solid answers to technical questions based on hands on experience, not just off the wall guesses like you get on other Reatta websites. From problems as simple as a blown fuse to a complicated problem with one of the many computers on the Reatta, to the hard to diagnose TEVES brake system, you will get the help you need.

Did you know that this is the oldest and largest source of information about the Buick Reatta on the Internet. (as far as I can tell)  The first post was made on June 26, 2000. That says a lot about how dedicated the AACA is to providing a forum that you can count on - without being bombarded with commercial ads. I find it amazing how much information is here. About anything concerning a Buick Reatta can be found here if you take the time to learn to use the forum's search function. And best of all, if you can't find it yourself someone here will help you find it.

Did you know that without this forum I would have sold my Reatta years ago? I'll bet a lot of other Reatta owners would have done the same. Although I have been a mechanic and machinist most of my life, I wouldn't have the knowledge or parts to keep a Buick Reatta on the road without this forum. Just go to your local dealership and ask for someone to repair your TEVES brakes or to troubleshoot your blank touch screen and see what kind of reaction you get.  If you can even persuade them to work on it you will need to come here to gather information to help them do it.

Do you know that more Reatta used parts vendors visit this forum that any other place on the internet? I won't mention their names because I will leave someone out. I appreciate each and every one of them because I depend on them to keep my car on the road. I've never saw a Reatta in a salvage yard near me. They offer an invaluable service that we sometimes take for granted.

Did you know that this forum is a sub-forum of a forum titled "BUICK CLUBS"? And that this is the only forum that has a link on the Reatta Division of The Buick Club of America's website? Yet there is seldom any of the officers of that club who post here? That doesn't seem right to me. Why don't the officers of the Reatta Division post here and support a forum that the AACA has set up specifically for the Buick Reatta club? Do they think a closed Facebook group is a more fitting place? A place where not all dues paying Reatta Division members are allowed to join? A place where you are constantly bombarded with advertisements and you risk having every detail of your personal life sold to the highest bidder?

I've been proud to be a member of this forum for over 10 years. I have received a huge amount of help over that time.  Participation in this forum has dwindled down to almost nothing. I think those leaving it are making a big mistake. You will regret it when you come back and find that the help you expect to be here is no longer available because everyone has left. The Reatta Division and it's members should get behind this forum before it's too late.

Rant over...

• Like 4

Pretty factual for a rant. Well spoken and I too am confused as to why people don't comment more on the day to day stuff they do on their Reattas or the places they go with same.

I try to drive one of my cars every day and have never found a more enjoyable car to drive.

I am leaving on a long vacation and will miss driving my Reatta.

Just hope to see more then a hand full of posts when I get back as I try to "catch up".

• Like 1

With out this forum this car dead,nobody knows how to fix this car. when I have to bring it to repair shop they do even know what it is,even a buick dealer has problem simply they do not have smarts or the tech 1 tools they need to fix car never mind brake system.A little story I had a abs light on since I bought this 5 years ago I tried everything on my own and failed if it wasn't for dave telling me about my front wheel sensors even though they check good they were still bad so I make investment with dave and the light has been off ever since it is thanks to people like him, that keeps the forum alive! now every works in this car except the cigarette lighter heating element, looking to purchase one,other than that this car is driven every day,i will post pictures soon 

Ronnie, your "rant' is spot on. The only reason for the apparent popularity of the Facebook group is collective laziness. "Everybody is doing it, I need to be there too", is the prevailing attitutde that permeates almost everything now. Id point and laugh if it weren't so pathetic. Now, I haven't been very active here for a while due to extenuating circumstances, but that fact notwithstanding, I still consider this place to be the defacto standard for Reatta related discourse.

With what we now know about facebook pimping the personal data (willingly supplied by the careless masses I needn't add, but will anyway) of every one of its users - among other distasteful business practices - there is no reason at all to be there anymore, except for the fact that the place still has the momentum created by having the critical mass of users in one place. I remember a hypothetical question about what one would do if everyone else was jumping off a bridge...well, lemmings [almost] one and all apparently.

So, we who hang out here as our principal resource for the Reatta will persevere without the involvement of those who wish to go second rate at "creepy Mark Z's den of deceit and discontent". Remember: trends aren't smart, they are just popular. Often they are quite stupid in fact, but that is the way of the world. I will never go near Zuckersperg's spy and propaganda operation on principal alone, and know that I'm missing nothing at all of importance. And while I clearly run contrary to the crowd, I still insist that the less people know about me, the better. Going along just to fit in is for suckers. Really though, I know that I'm fighting a lost cause.

I have no issue at all with anyone wanting to setup other Reatta related groups. It just shouldn't be done at facebook, as it is the worst possible venue for any number of very good reasons that have come to light. Of course,  regret comes most strongly at those lacking foresight. Before this era of big social media finally crashes and burns, there will be enormous consequences for countless people who played along because it was the path of least resistance. And that's a damn shame, because it didn't have to be this way. 

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This site is my "go to" place. Every time I'm on the computer I come here and "lurk" If I see something where I think I can help I login and make my comments. I still have my Reatta. I haven't been driving it much lately because the A/C compressor quit on me. It's been consistently very warm around here for the last couple of months. They are still predicting 90 degrees this coming week. I have decided that I will wait until spring to replace the compressor. I will be driving it some more this fall when the weather cools a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fordrodsteven said:

This site is my "go to" place. Every time I'm on the computer I come here and "lurk" If I see something where I think I can help I login and make my comments....

This forum is my "go to" place, also.  I'm not a "Facebook" participant and don't ever expect to be.

Ronnie,  I see no rant on your part, just "pretty factual" as Dave L says and "spot on" as Kevin D says.

Keep up the good work as our moderator.

As Karl did above, so did I some months ago, when I was considering buying one. Glad I did! Also glad I got some info from the folks on this forum.

Going forward, it is nice to have this as a resource. Like Ronnie said, these are complex cars, when they work, great, but of course sometimes they don't!

Thanks to Ronnie and all of the others that make this work.

Keith

I had to sell my Reatta convertible a couple of years ago in order to buy a handicap van for my wife.  I still come here almost daily to see what's going on and offer whatever advice I have knowledge of.  I too am amazed at the following the Reatta has enjoyed on this website.  All 3 I have owned were great cars that I kept on the road with the help from the folks here. My health has deteriorated over the last year and I don't know how much longer I will be able to contribute here but I will until I just can't.  Ronnie is aces in my book.

I have no way to monitor the total traffic group this site, but there is no doubt there is some erosion. I was concerned when I learned of the Facebook group and expressed misgivings at that time. It would be helpful if it pointed people to this forum but I fear the reverse is true. Generally I agree with the thoughts expressed here, and have the same concerns, but it's preaching to the choir. It's unfortunately similar to having a single source for news/information, talking to the same people, visiting the same places, or none at all, and generally not looking at the world from more than one perspective. I certainly post less, although I visit often. I see little interest in what I enjoy as a pastime, so don't bother to post much. In that respect, Ronnie's old site was more geared to the hands on and not just to preservation. I hope you keep trying.

Every Monday morning it's back to the workweek grind. I ease into it slowly by pursing some of my favorite websites. This one is number one on the list. I've owned my Reatta for 14 years. This site was invaluable it diagnosing all the issues it had. I live in Bend, Oregon. I have one of three Reattas here. Mine is the only convertible. I enjoy its uniqueness. When spring comes and the snow melts away, the cover comes off the Reatta and my enjoyment of the car lasts all summer. Fall arrives, the air cools and on that fateful day when I know it's time for the Reatta to get put to bed for the winter, I take it out, blast the Beach Boys, "Summers Gone" and go for one last spin through the the hills.

Thanks for this site being here.

Scott Shaw

My Reatta coupe has taken me through job changes, retirement, and personal battles, is the most fun car I have and mention on another forum that has a TOL model (2005-2012) with many buttons and a display (not touch) just how much more advanced my 88 is.

As to the AACA General Discussion, I post often and even have some members that pounce on every post I make to find errors. Since many there do not even believe in juice brakes, my computer tales do irritate some.

Guess I just do not change much and am reminded of J. Pat O'Malley in the Gumball Rally and his remark about the Merc (a 300SL roadster) and his wife.

I have always appreciated the help and advice that I read on this forum. I have checked out the Facebook site and have noticed that it is often people sharing one another's ignorance. I have seen, however, an occasional referral to this forum posted on Facebook. Quality will prevail!  Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the replies to a post that I made out of frustration.  I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who realizes that it's important to keep this forum going. 

On 9/8/2018 at 6:06 PM, chipcross said:

I have checked out the Facebook site and have noticed that it is often people sharing one another's ignorance. I have seen, however, an occasional referral to this forum posted on Facebook. Quality will prevail!

The only thing worse than getting NO information when you need help with a Reatta problem is getting BAD information.  ?

• Like 1

You must remember at the end of production in May 1991.........there was a total of 21,751 Reattas made.    As of this past May the number of Reattas registered in the US was down to just under 7,000......

we have "lost" 2/3 of the total production and their owners.

I wrote somewhere that in other clubs I have seen a trend........when the cars are abundant and reasonably priced or even cheap......there are lots of people on the bandwagon.   But when parts get harder to find

prices go up,  we separate the men from the boys.

It looks like we are going thru that phase......the true blue owners will still be around...parts are still out there and some of the ones that are hard to find, hopefully we will find a solution to solve the availabity problem without

going sky high on prices.

The good news is the Reatta was not built as a "throw away car"...the steel was galvanized before stamping and after welding the pieces together, the entire car was completely dipped in primer....the bodies hold up very well.

Other parts like suspension and some of the electronics were shared with other GM cars so used parts are still out there.    If you own a good car,  you might consider buying a cheap parts car (assuming you have a place to store one)

that way you would have replacement parts in your back yard.

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

But when parts get harder to find prices go up,  we separate the men from the boys.

My car is a higher mileage car, about 125,000 I think, but it doesn't give me much trouble.  I don't put a lot of miles on it but it will be needing more and more hard to get parts as time goes by.  If the price for parts goes too high I will be one of the boys.  I have never allowed myself to get so attached to a car that I can't let go when the time and money I put into it exceeds the enjoyment I get out of it.

I know several people that have purchased Reattas at very reasonable prices because the owner was quoted $2,500 to $3,500 to fix the Teves brakes.

In every case the brakes were repaired for no more than $500.   This forum is one of the few places you can get good information on the Teves brakes (1988-1990)

So the new owners was able to get a very good car and put it back on the road for not a lot of $$

I am presently working with a former BCA Board member that is having brake problems and was told it need a master cylinder....after some long distance phone calls and a few test

it appears the diaphragm in the accumulator has failed......a new accumulator will put him back on the road.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SteveT said:

quite often the red "brake" light is on at start up and will remain on for a minute or 2 , then it stays off while driving.  Where would be my first spot to look.

That is normal operation of the car hasn't been driven for an extended period like overnight or after a few hours. If it happens every time you startup then you should take the accumulator test and report back here with the results. A bad accumulator could cause that.