ericmac

Duesenberg watching

Keep it here. It is a general interest/posting topic that has some specific car information for all to enjoy

dave s 

A great Duesenberg was on the block at the Worldwide Pacific Grove sale August 23rd: a 1922 Model A Sport Phaeton. Chassis No 798, Millspaugh & Irish coachwork.

1922 Duesenberg Model A for sale 101022452

photo from Autotraders

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

Automotive Quarterly's E L Cord book originally sold for over $1,000, but there are copies available either at Amazon or Ebay for under $100.00. A small Duesenberg book, The Duesenberg by Steinwedel and Newport, Duesenberg , the mightiest American Motor Car by Elbert is also an inexpensive book. You should be able to buy all three for under $100 total. I might mention that while It is reported that Duesenberg only supplied chassis, La Grande was part of the E L Cord empire and supplied some of the more spectacular bodies for Duesenberg. According to the E L Cord book, at times La Grande supplied bodies on Duesenberg chassis before there was a buyer. B & S bodies are usually quite graceful, so this body isn't in keeping with their styling ability. B & S was one of the early builders of Custom cars, not in the classic sense, but in the Rod and Custom sense, creating a bridge between the the customs accepted by AACA and CCCA and those more in line with the L A Roadster show or Hot August Nights.

AQ's E. L. Cord book was introduced in 1985 and was priced at $395.  It was a leather bound limited edition 8 pound coffee table book with a slip case and all the trimmings.  (In the aftermarket I understand copies have been re sold for as much as $1,000.)  NOTE THIS: Advertising stated that "The destruction of all printing plates has been legally witnessed and attested to by an officer of the Court of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania", clearly an inference that no more would ever be printed.  However, despite those assurances there appeared a scaled-down edition of the book, with advertising saying "there is no compromise of content, quality of paper, use of color, or publishing quality", and this time it was described as "from the AQ-Magnificent Marque Series",  priced at $195 (and apparently is still being remaindered in the $100 range.)   Amazing! 

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bohman & Schwartz always had a bit of a boxed style but to each their own, but on the Derham body it looks like everything from the b-pillar back was an afterthought. 

Dave....missed seeing you on the field. Was by our car virtually the entire time. Ed

Ed, I was with people who liked the sports car and didn't get to see all the cars. as we had to make air connections. Unfortunately, bot planes were late, and we sat in Monterrey and Phoenix airports for hours, time that could have been spent looking at cars. Believe me, my biggest disappointment of the weekend was not seeing you and your car up close. I did see it at the reviewing stand. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

Jeff, I saw the two J's at Pacific Grove, but somehow missed this one. Easy to do as there was an overload of things to do and see that week. 

Dave, I wasn't there, but guess you could only see every car at the Concours and sales of Monterey Week with great difficulty, like trying to see all the booths at Hershey(I only saw 8 the year I went), or all the exhibits at all the museums on the mall in Washington, D.C.

On the Worldwide Auctioneers catalog, there are a couple of photographs showing the SOHC straight eight engine of the A Duesenberg. Like a Silver Ghost, a 1918 Winton, a Bugatti, a Model J, or a 60-Six Peerless, a work of art.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I agree that the Model A Duesenberg has the misfortune of being overlooked because the Model J was so incredible.  The first Duesenberg I remember seeing in person was a Model A Roadster which was at a car show in St. Ignace, MI. This would have been 1975 or 1976. At the time the old brown car did nothing for me. Today I wish I had a photo of it. 

In about 1978 I got to see my first J, a LeBaron dual cowl pheaton, car 2133 J-111, and that fixed my impression of Duesenbergs forever! At the time it was black with red coves. Still an impressive looking car.

• Like 1

Back in the mid 1980’s I became good friends with Fred Roe, the first true Duesenberg historian, and one day over lunch he turned and said to me........back in the late thirties and most of the forties we only wanted the early cars(meaning Model A Duesenbergs) we wanted a light weight car we could easily modify into a speedster or racer and we didn’t even bother looking at the “J’s”. My guess is that a Model A could be bought for twenty five or fifty dollars......and a “J” would still have been 300-600 at the time. The “A” was powerful and more like W.O. Bentley three litre, Bugatti, or something similar. Much better chassis to modify into a weekend toy. Even late in life he still had a very special place in his heart for the “A”, even though he was mostly known for the Model J.

• Thanks 1

Seen on tour in Cape Cod this week, J-357. Great CCCA three day tour and Grand Classic. Some fantastic cars on the road.......nice turnout and if I read things from the schedule correctly more than half the cars attending the CCCA Grand Classic were participants in the tour.......people are still driving the pre war stuff. Also, they seem to be well sorted........no break downs or cars spotted on the side of the road. No trouble truck, just a bunch of properly prepared cars. Lots of Packards, Cadillacs, Buick, Chrysler, J, Cord, and a few others. Earliest car on tour was a 1925 Cadillac, newest was a 1948 Lincoln. 

8103CC96-CDB5-4004-870F-393444C00974.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Wow! Nice. 

Ed, you get to go to all the cool places. Pebble Beach last week and Cape Cod this week. Life is great. Eh?

On 9/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, old car fan said:

Here's the car

KIMG0189.jpg

Purchased by a well known gentleman who has owned many fine Model J’s. He is very enthusiastic about his new ride. I look forward to seeing it going down the road in the future. 

Here's another Duesenberg, a 1930 Derham-bodied car that was built for Gary Cooper.  We saw it Sunday, Sept. 16, at the Heritage Museums and Gardens in Sandwich, MA at their "Cocktails for Cars" event.  EdinMass probably saw it the week before.  The car had been in the Museum for about 50 years, but had never been run, so they cleaned it up and started it this summer, now drive it around the grounds a bit.  The engine runs smoothly and sounds great.  Also in attendance were a 1939 Bugatti, Cord Westchester, 1950 Allard K2, the Museum's 1912 Packard Victoria, a bunch of Porsches and Ferraris, Jag XKE, a 1984 Morgan, and my 1948 Studebaker M5 pickup - about 36 cars in all.  

1930 Duesenberg-Heritage Mus.jpg

1930 Duesenberg-Heritage Mus- engine.jpg

1939 Bugatti-Cord-Studebaker.jpg

^^^^^^^^^ I've seen that Duesenberg as well on my visit to the collection years ago. I have to ask, who picked the colors and when? I can sort of live with the light green, but the other two just look wrong. Bob 

6 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

The colors on the Duesey are hurting my eyes! Horrible............

Are the whitewalls too much for you....🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1