2018 Das Awkscht Fescht Photos - Saturday

charlier

Thought I would post some photos from the Saturday Car Show.

FYI pictured in some of these photos are an AACA 1st Grand National Winner (Checker Cab) and some  AACA HPOF and AACA DPC cars as well.

Charlie

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_001.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_005.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_006.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_007.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_008.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_009.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_010.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_011.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_012.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_013.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_014.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_015.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_017.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_018.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_019.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_020.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_021.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_022.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_023.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_024.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_025.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_026.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_027.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_028.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_029.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_030.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_031.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_032.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_033.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_035.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_036.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_037.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_038.jpg

2018 Das Awkscht Fescht_039.jpg

• Thanks 2

Looks like it was a perfect day with a great turnout.  It's been a long time since I've been there but recall the swap meet was fantastic.  Does it still offer a lot of early parts and treasures?   Gotta get back there again someday!

Terry

I was at Macungie about 3 years ago, and it still remains

an EXCELLENT show.  About the time the show-classes

were rearranged on the field, the number of 1910's cars

dropped off dramatically.  The show still retains a large

number of pre-World War II cars, for those whose interest is in

that range, but not so much in the World War I era anymore.

For later antiques, there are hundreds upon hundreds.

The flea market has become much sparser, in my observation,

and I've heard quite a few people say the same thing.

But it's still an event that no one should miss. 

I appreciate these photos of the “other” cars, the everyday cars we might have owned and driven until they died.  Nice to see the hobby will continue as these cars have survived and get shown.  Those fake wood side wagons are great!

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

As a long time fan of this show, is it just me or, over the last few years does this event now look like a shopping plaza parking lot full of later model cars? Also, the car corral and swap meet are shrinking fast. I remember not that long ago, maybe 10 to 15 years, when most of the cars shown were pre war 2. Starting to see the same thing at Hershey but to a lesser degree, at least for the time being..

Our last year at Macungie was the one when the real high winds hit, maybe 25-30 years ago our kids were really young. Glad I took photos, lots of Brass era cars and the most early motorcycles of any local meet. Great memories. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Looks like it was a perfect day with a great turnout.  It's been a long time since I've been there but recall the swap meet was fantastic.  Does it still offer a lot of early parts and treasures?   Gotta get back there again someday!

Terry

Terry, My photos show what the day finally turned out to be but it did not start out that way by any means. Early in the morning that Saturday VERY HEAVY rain moved through this area. Somewhere around 4-5 am my phone woke me up when the flash flood warning alarms went off (I forgot to turn them off). I delayed my departure from home that morning as long as I could and still arrive before the gates closed. I did that so the roads had a chance to drain and/or dry out. I also hoped that the grass show field might have a few hours to dry out. When I arrived I noticed that the 1976-1993 class was 1/2 or less the size it was 2 years ago. I am guessing that some people decided not to come due to the weather the night before of the anticipated field conditions that morning. I wore my waterproof work boots which was very prudent. Sunday morning I spent 10-20 minutes hosing off the mud on the wheel wells and undercarriage of my DPC car. Sure glad I had two cars registered for the show so I could hedge my bets when it can to the weather.

6 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

As a long time fan of this show, is it just me or, over the last few years does this event now look like a shopping plaza parking lot full of later model cars? Also, the car corral and swap meet are shrinking fast. I remember not that long ago, maybe 10 to 15 years, when most of the cars shown were pre war 2. Starting to see the same thing at Hershey but to a lesser degree, at least for the time being..

I am guessing that the shopping plaza parking lots you are referring to are located in the southern or southwestern parts of the USA. Here in the northeast areas I live in or visit one seldom seems cars from the 1970s, 80s or early 90s  unless it is early on a Sunday morning when some people exercise their old cars. 

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The flea market has become much sparser, in my observation,

and I've heard quite a few people say the same thing.

But it's still an event that no one should miss. 

I walked the entire flea market this year like I did two years ago. It did seem to me that there were fewer vendors this year. I guess the only question is did the rain on Friday and overnight impact the turnout of vendors on Saturday? Parts of the flea market field were VERY muddy and soft. Another reason I was glad I wore my boots. 

4 hours ago, TerryB said:

I appreciate these photos of the “other” cars, the everyday cars we might have owned and driven until they died.  Nice to see the hobby will continue as these cars have survived and get shown.  Those fake wood side wagons are great!

Interestingly enough, I am seeing more and more interest in this era of cars in the last few years from people who "used to own one". That usually kicks off a conversation with fond and occasionally not so fond memories. The original owner, low mileage, Toyota MR2 parked next to me attracted a LOT of attention that Saturday as did a couple other vehicles in the 1976-1993 class (including the Checker Cab). 

There were a LOT of other cars on the show field at Macungie this year. Due to a lack of time due to my late arrival and the time I spent interacting with people I did not take a lot of photos.

Charlie