New radiator?

fastdrink

11 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Fastdrink, I purchased a radiator from US Radiator with 3 cores for a 63 Riv with AC. I’ll probably take my original radiator and if it is worth recoring  I’ll have it done.

Matter of choice.

Red Riviera Bob

Is working better are about the same as the original?

2 hours ago, fastdrink said:

Fastdrink, the original Radiator leaked soon after I bought the car.

Radiator was 50plus years old. I bought a reproduction radiator from  US Radiator with an extra core put in for my AC. They charged me $550.00 plus shipping. Two years later new Radiator sprung a small leak shortly after my harmonic balancer flew off. Don’t know if the harmonic balancer accident caused the leak. Leak repair $65.00

Old time Radiator ( since 1956) said they might be able to rebuild my original, IF IT IS rebuildable, for $350-$750. Owner said his rebuild will last much longer than US Radiator. I’m inclined to have my original radiator rebuilt as a spare. This repro stuff is sometimes really weak.

Red Riviera Bob

• Thanks 1

Bob, I was planning on buying from US RADIATORS when the time comes that I need to. Surprised to read that,yours sprung a leak so soon. Which model did you get? I was considering upgrading to a four core in their high efficiency model. I still have the original in my  65. Been Rodded out once. Car has never overheated but then I never have sat idling in + 90 heat with ac on. My ac don't work. Someday I may get around to fixing it . It's all there under the hood still .

On 9/3/2018 at 1:12 AM, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Bob, I was planning on buying from US RADIATORS when the time comes that I need to. Surprised to read that,yours sprung a leak so soon. Which model did you get? I was considering upgrading to a four core in their high efficiency model. I still have the original in my  65. Been Rodded out once. Car has never overheated but then I never have sat idling in + 90 heat with ac on. My ac don't work. Someday I may get around to fixing it . It's all there under the hood still .

I cannot day for certain the radiator sprung a leak on it’s own. My pulley/harmonic balancer flew off and it M I G H T have hit the radiator to cause it to leak later. The AC shop I trust said their recore and repair of radiators that can be fixed will last longer than US Radiator. I believe the man. The US Radiators may not be made out of the same quality materials as the OEM. It is only my opinion-I’m not an expert. You have to get more and better info before you decide.

Red Riviera Bob

oh, I’m sorry I don’t have the model number handy, but it was an upgrade to three cores or 4 cores from the original.

1 hour ago, fastdrink said:

Guess I'll stick with oem!!!!!

Don’t judge on my one experience. Get some more info from more and better sources. I’m only one guy that had bad luck.

RRB

I'm a pro at taking the radiator out of a 1965 Riviera. After wanting to keep the old radiator. It had been recored before I bought the car. I had it out probably 7 times. Over heating issues, and leaks. I spent over $300 to keep the original radiator. To end the drama I bought a new one from US Radiator. NO issues in 3 years. If I had it to do over. I would have done it much quicker. And got an aluminum radiator. And saved $$$$. It's so hard to find a good radiator shop. Good Luck, Bill

Edited by bb1970 (see edit history)