Towing vehicle for a DB

Mpgp1999

As I am getting older, the ripe old age of 19, I am going to start to invest in a truck and trailer. I am currently located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I am looking for a truck to bring my car to shows like the next national meet in Missouri. I have been looking at a ford 7.3l diesel and a 4.9 in-line 6.  I only have 6k to my name. I have found an excellent 1993 f150 5 speed with an overdrive 3.55 rear axle and tow package with 168k on the inline 6. This is a single cab bench seat fully loaded. Power windows rear abs power steering etc. would.this vehicle be a good daily, to go to work and school, and a good vehicle to tow a 20ft enclosed trailer to the other side of the country. Or do I need a diesel. Since money is tight I most likely will not find an aluminum trailer for 2k. What do the experts have to say??

Matthew 

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

That 4.9 liter Ford engine has 300 cubes........that's a lot of engine for a 6.

Additionally it's something you might actually be able to fix!

I'm highly biased as I love straight 6 engines but I have to give Ford credit for this particular engine.

But like most 6's if has spark and gas it'll run nearly forever....... :D

http://www.f150hub.com/specs/ford-300.html

My only concern about the 6 cylinder is the ability to tow a heavy load for an extended period of time about 7000lbs.  I do know how to test the obd1 system with a price of wire and watching the check engine light. Below is the truck that I am looking at. If I can get it for the right price. About 5k.   

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-ford-f150-4x4-classic/6674316974.html

I use an Izusu NPR 300 4 cylinder Deisel. I put one on the back and the other on a trailer. It’s not fast but will do it all day.Old  F trucks are money pits I think. Well that was my experience with one.  It had a 351 in it. 

Stick with a Deisel if your towing. 

It cost me $5k and I built the back for it. 

08EBE090-9D7D-4748-96B1-AFEB243F5032.jpeg

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)

Even the 6.0's aren't bad but you have to get one after about 05 and one that has been studded.  The 7.3 were good engines though and ran long enough to outlive their hosts here in the east. 

I don't know if that inline 6 is enough to comfortably pull that load especially if you get into the mountains anywhere.  I would ask as mentioned on a Ford forum.  Luckily you are in the West where rust free trucks exist.  Here in the east.  Mother nature starts seriously consuming anything 4 years or so old. By 10 it's a rotten chassis with a little sheetmetal hanging off it. 

Thanks for the info. I have narrowed my search to two trucks that are for sale near me. (Within 100 miles). A 1994 f250 diesel and a 1993 f150 straight 6.  95% of the time I will not be towing anything whatever I will be making yearly trips to DB national meets. 

The F250 is also going to have heavier suspension and better brakes (usually) Probably a better transmission if it's an automatic than the 6 as well,  as it's designed to handle the torque of the diesel. 

Some trailer dealers if you don't already have an enclosed trailer will not sell to you if you don't have a big enough truck to pull the trailer off the lot.  Not to say you can't have a friend tow it away for you. Happened locally with a guy that wanted ot buy an enclosed trailer but only had a normal midsize? pickup. 

Perhaps beyond your budget, but the best 7.3 is the 1999-2002 which has a 4-speed 4R100 near-bulletproof automatic trans if not a 6-speed stick, and HEUI fuel injection.  Turbos were added, IIRC, to the 7.3 in mid-1994 and are VERY desirable.

Matthew, go back and READ all the responses here. Most are saying without actually saying that it ain't gunna work. As said if you buy a new trailer they probably won't let you off the lot. A 150 with a 300 six is too light to pull an enclosed trailer and DB. The rig will weigh more then the truck. You will not only tax it to get going but you will never stop when you have to. 

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

The first Diesel I had was a 96 F350 Dually with the 7.3.  I later bought a brand new 2005 F 350 dually with a 6.0 which I actually never towed anything with.  I then sold that 6 years later and bought an 06 with a 6.0 diesel.  That one blew one of  the head gaskets so I had it studded and some other mods done.  That's my current daily driver.  I really don't need a diesel F250 truck MOST of the time,  but the first time I did,  I was happy that I bought it.  

One thing I really noticed with a diesel,  you didn't really realize how heavy you were loaded,  until yo tried coming to a stop and found you needed alot more pedal than normal.  The engine's never work unless they are really being worked. 

I had a load of pumpkins on my Dad's 85 Ford with the inline 6 and 5 speed with OD.  I hit the big hill going home and was about ready to get out to help push it over the top.

I just noticed the Ad for the F150,  while it looks like new(would be a great summer beater here in the east.)  is really more a toy truck than a towing machine says price is Firm. 

Assuming since you posted the F150 from a CA craigslist,  that's where you are.  Should be alot of choices out there.  I would try to stick to the Turbocharged 7.3.  The 6.9 was not as good or as powerful of an engine. That turbo makes alot of difference. 

Post a link to the Diesel as well. 

Good luck.

Unfortunately the craigslist ad ended however  The owner reached out to me and said he will be in contact when he comes back from vacation.  The trucking question is a 1994 F250 5 speed  7.3 turbo diesel 4X4 with 220k.  It is a single cab and he says that it will need some steering and brake work in the future.  He’s asking 4500. 

On 8/28/2018 at 8:51 PM, Ron Lawson said:

Matt if you look me up on F/B you can see my setup A 1991 FSR 500 Tilt and Slide and the caravan 

I’m not on Facebook Ron. 

My wife says Facebook and me just wouldn’t get along. 

Depending on what the steering work is that could be expensive.  If the box is bad.  If it's just a tie rod end or something,  that's not so bad.  Brakes aren't too bad if it's just a straight forward job.  In the east,  brakes means everything is rotten and seized so that's alot different job.  The mileage is starting to get up there, though I know they run past 300 K without a problem. 

What town are you closest to in CA? 

Do you prefer stick or automatic?   I found a few but at that under 5G range most of the diesel trucks I found have been very well used. Squeak it up to 7G and you have alot more choices between 6 and 7 G with alot better trucks.  I have found every one I bought ended up costing more than I wanted to spend,  but the truck was immensely better for little extra dollars. 

I had a 10G budget when I bought mine and ended up finagling up to a 16G truck because it was just alot better than anything I could find cheaper.  You get what you pay for. Especially here in the East where rust in the Number one concern. 

I found this one in your area but it's asking 6900.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/1999-ford-f250-diesel-73/6661621439.html

00D0D_1pJK0QyvKwW_600x450.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I prefer a stick. I like the nineth generation f series trucks body style and dual fuel tank. I am looking for a single cab. I will rarely have a passenger and it will be easier to maneuver in tight spaces with a smaller truck. 

Surprisingly not much available out in your neck of the woods in that vintage in a regular cab,  especially when you add stick to it.  Lots more extra cabs available.  One of that vintage you will be able to show at Hershey in a few years.  The few I found were as expensive as newer diesels with less miles.  You do have the bonus atleast of the smog exempt status. 

4 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You do have the bonus atleast of the smog exempt status. 

Not in Califunny!  Biennial smog inspections of diesel pickups required for 1976 and newer.  Matthew, since you're new to California you should know that it is the SELLER's responsibility to give you a valid smog test, which is good for only 60 (or maybe 90) days from the date it was done.

3 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Not in Califunny!  Biennial smog inspections of diesel pickups required for 1976 and newer.  Matthew, since you're new to California you should know that it is the SELLER's responsibility to give you a valid smog test, which is good for only 60 (or maybe 90) days from the date it was done.

Didn't know that.  I saw a bunch posted in that vintage that said they were smog exempt. 

Should have known with CA leading the charge to do themselves in, they would have the strictest regs. 

Do they have a water surcharge tax for Stanley Steamers yet? 

It's not the 6 that is as much of a problem as the rest of the truck is under rated for an enclosed trailer.  They had 6 cylinder 235 Chevy engines, flat 6 Dodge engines etc.  in tractor trailers back in the day,  but the brakes and gearing were adapted according to the specs of what it was needed for.   They weren't good for today's highway speeds of 65 MPH either which is what you want your tow vehicle to be capable of.  You don't want to be an obstacle in the highway. 

Well you'll need to change your license to register your new truck when you find one in CA.   The Dodge will be good for 2 years but after that you won't be able to renew it without a new inspection from NY.

What's wrong not srue if you want to live in the land of fruits and nuts yet as more than a visitor? ;)

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

That’s why I have not changed my drivers license, however my parents have so I might see if they will register the truck under their name. I know I guy in New York who  for a 100 bucks will give me a safety inspection sticker 

Is this for real??? Or a scam?   I can include photos if anyone really wants to see but the trailer is in A+ condition  with cabinets and it is aluminum. 

My name is Helen Wallace, and I'm emailing you about 2012 Haulmark Edge 8.5 x 20 Enclosed Race Car UTV ATV/Motorcycle Cargo Trailer.

It has: 48" beaver tail, 6" extended tongue,electric trailer brakes,2- 5200lb axles, 235/80R 16E tires, alum wheels, ATP shelves front of trailer, rubber coin floor, 3500lb electric tongue jack, spare tire, front & rear chrome corners & header, E track, ramp door, 2- 36" side doors w recessed steps, front diamond plate stone guard, 4- d-rings floor mounted, vinyl walls, vinyl ceiling, fluorescent interior lights(120v), 2- 500W quartz lights (120v),4- LED interior lights (12v),4- 120v outlets, all LED lights, add clearance lights.

The price was reduced at $1,500(including delivery to your home address) because I'm recently divorced, after the divorce I owned the trailer and I don't need it. I need to sell the trailer before 10th September when I will be leaving the country for a year on military duty with my medical team and I do not want to store it. Below I attached you some photos

Thank you,

Helen 
contact wallacehe915@gmail.com

That's a clean looking Dodge.  Though the Cummins is a good engine,  research any you are looking into.  Each year had their own problems, even with the 7.3, though the 93-97 seem to be some of the best.  A friend swears by Dodge and is a Diesel mechanic that builds Diesels and studded my Ford, but sold one of his because of problems it had.  Generally both the Ford and Dodge powertrains were built to run long and hard.  Probably why every one you see for sale is still going,  though it looks run into the ground. 

It would be nice if you could find one an older gent has that's had it for alot of it's life and didn't beat it to death. Used it for hauling his toys around once in a while and took care of it.  They are out there.  You just need to be patient.  I looked hard for mine in FL to avoid the rust,  but in an area where I could have a relative check it out for me.  I had seen it for sale for over a month at a dealer with some hokey ass Camo Cabella wrap on it.  Finally they pulled the wrap and dropped the price right into a range that made me do some thinking.  It was about the same price as older trucks 5 years or more,  with more miles.  Maybe check a neighboring state or widen your search if you aren't finding what you are looking for.  Not sure how far you are willing to travel but it might just be worth it for the right truck. 

I can't see any images.

Her email address does not come up as a scammer.

None of the ad text comes up in a search so even if it IS a scam "they" aren't using boiler plate lingo.

Buuuuuut..........another cropped search of the ad text revealed THIS >>> http://www.startribune.com/need-a-scam-to-sell-a-boat-say-you-re-divorced-leaving-for-military-duty-soon/484038941/ ....... :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

The Bakersfield one doesn't look bad.  A few dents but stock would probably be better than built for you unless you are a diesel mechanic.  Lots done,  but more than you need.  I know if you hooked that Bakersfield diesel up to an enclosed trailer then hooked that 93 F150 you would say what am I thinking.  

The problem with that 93 6 is it's so clean it makes you think why am I considering one of these other work trucks.  

I saw that built diesel for sale,  but thought it might be more headaches for you than you want.   One photo isn't real enticing either. 

I contacted the guy with the 89. He said he is a diesel mechanic. He will send me more pictures in a day or so. He is also 3 hours away while the one in Bakersfield is over 7 one way.

The only thing I would be leery,   is he is a diesel mechanic,  but are you?  If not do you know one?  With the mods it might be harder to get fixed.  (I'm sure there are alot of them around out there, you just have to find the right one)  Also does it have to be smogged?  The mods might make it fail.  Mine has an EGR delete,  but I believe that if it went through a smog check it would fail,  depending on how it's performed and it's visibly noticeable if you know what to look for.  

Not trying to discourage you,  just want to be sure that you end up with the best rig for your needs. 

How soon before you need to buy a rig? 

The nice thing is if you have a little time,  fresh stuff is always coming on the market.  

I don't do the facebook thing but people have had alot of luck finding stuff that way through friends.  Might be worth even posting a wanted ad through your friends if you are on it.  Maybe one is sitting on the side of the road around one of them,  that's not listed anywhere yet. 

I found my Hudson with a wanted ad after I couldn't find any for sale that fit the bill,  much less any even really for sale. 

I am not in a hurry* to buy a truck. I would like one by the end of the year. So I can get used to how it drives before I learn how to safely tow. I am looking at for a ford truck 1997 or older single cab manual trans 4x4. I like a 5 speed but not a 4 speed for towing. I like the way fords look and there are many fords in my area about 20 fords to 1 dodge.

* I have a car that I am borrowing but it needs a timing belt and it is an interference engine.