Northeast starter generator GA 12v rebuild

Mpgp1999

Hello everyone I am taking an automotive class at my local community college. For my project I would like to repair my starter generator. My arm is getting sore. I have two. The original from the car was starting but not generating. The current one in the car does nothing except make me sad. I have no idea what I am doing so any information will help. I am horrible at anything electronic. Which is ironic because I am 19. 

If only you were closer.

One needs special equipment to test the armature and field windings for starters (no pun intended..... ;) )

Since both of us know the current state of one of your starters, did the one that threw solder around generate before it got overheated? 

That the other one does nothing might be a good sign.

Being 19 is not an obstacle to learning so don't underestimate yourself especially after all the other things you have already done with your beautiful car....... ?

The starter the broke at the Wisconsin meet worked by starting and generating. That one was a NOS I got. I was driving under normal conditions ( at the time it was raining) btw that was the last time I saw rain apparently here I California it never rains. When I tried to start the car after the tour of the packaging plant it did not start or generate. At the shop in school I do have access or equipment that I don’t know how to use. It may be helpful. The only thing I have done is take off that back plate/band off and clean the commutator. Should I use a brass brush or sandpaper. I only used a rag and electrical cleaner. What should I disassemble? Should I order new brushes from the Myers?  

Don't order anything until you've been able to growl the armature and field windings to verify they are either good or can be made good.

As I mentioned some solder flying around isn't the end of the world as the wires can be soldered again to the commutator segments.

However, when did it puke solder?

While it was running or from cranking too long and overheating it or a "just one of those things" things?

If it were me, I would ask the www first. There are a number of how-to web sites.

The first one I looked at said to keep solvent away from the armature and commutator. You will dissolve the varnish that helps insulation.

When you take it apart, take lots of good pictures so you can see how it works and how it goes together. You are young and probably have a better memory than us older types, but don't rely on it!

IIRC, there have been schematics and discussions of how they run on these fora. Tried a search?

Last time I used the starter.  I recalled that it started but did not generate.  Also I highly doubt that the shop at my school has a growler. Should I invest in one for myself?

On 8/28/2018 at 9:53 PM, Mpgp1999 said:

I highly doubt that the shop at my school has a growler. Should I invest in one for myself?

Not unless you want to spend about $300-$350 for a one time use........ :wacko:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R9.TR10.TRC1.A0.H0.TRS1&_nkw=growler+armature+tester&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=growler

Believe it or not my shop had a growler that I can use I tested the Armature and found no shorts.   However the inside of the starter was extremely dirty so I cleaned it with several rags and no solvents.  I then used some emery cloth to clean the commutator.  Upon assembling everything one of the brush is broke so I decided to order a new set of brushes and I will replace them all.   Photos are before I sanded the commutator and broke a brush   .

A3566C8D-2415-49B2-828B-C6E0CB3CBB03.jpeg

F49C9EFF-393E-485F-8350-FD4EDC39A2D4.jpeg

Yes, emery cloth leaves specs of hard rock in the commutator. For the same reason, use a points file, not emery cloth on the points.

The other thing normally done is to undercut the commutator. I was told to, anyway. Use a broken hacksaw blade with thickness the same as the insulators between the copper parts of the commutator. Then very carefully scrape the insulator down about half to one mm below the surface of the commutator. Try very hard to not come out and scratch the copper surfaces.

Because the class had ended for the day I was putting everything back together for easy transport and I broke one of the brushes. I ordered new ones from the Myers and they arrived today. Any tips on installing them? Do I need to solder them in or screw them.  Also what is a good way to clean the inside of the housing where the magnets and wires are. So far a used only a rag and I have has some success. Do I need to demagnetize the magnets. Is there anything else that I can do while I have the starter generator apart? 

Installing new brushes appeared to be relatively painless.  I hooked up a battery and the starter spins.  With the starter tester I was able to spin the starter and it was creating voltage so according to my stupidity the starter should be good for another 50 years.  The brushes were 75% used or broken.  And the commentator was dirty and everything was tarnished and filthy.  Now comes the hard part installing it but before I install it is there anything I can do to the outside appearance to make it look nice and factory.

• Like 1